ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 19




                                               

City Temple, London

The City Temple is a Nonconformist church on Holborn Viaduct in London. It is the only English Free Church still worshipping in its own building every Sunday in the City of London. The current Minister is Rev Dr Rodney Woods. The church is part o ...

                                               

Dutch Church, Austin Friars

The Dutch Church, Austin Friars, is a reformed church in the Broad Street Ward, in the City of London. Located on the site of the 13th-century Augustinian friary, the original building granted to Protestant refugees for their church services in 1 ...

                                               

Holy Trinity Gough Square

Trinity Church was built in the parish of St Brides in the City of London, on the initiative of the vicar, the Reverend Thomas Dale, who felt that the parish church was inadequate for the size of the population. He first proposed a schoolroom tha ...

                                               

St Audoen within Newgate

St Audoen within Newgate was a mediaeval church in the City of London situated on the corner of Newgate Street and Eldeness Lane. It was first mentioned as Parochia sancti Audoeni in around 1220. In 1546 Henry VIII gave the Church, along with St. ...

                                               

St Augustine Papey

St Augustine Papey was a mediaeval church in the City of London situated just south of London Wall opposite the north end of St. Mary Axe Street. First mentioned as "Sci augustini pappey", it originally belonged to the Priory of Holy Trinity. By ...

                                               

St Giles-without-Cripplegate

St Giles-without-Cripplegate is an Anglican church in the City of London, located on Fore Street within the modern Barbican complex. When built it stood without the city wall, near the Cripplegate. The church is dedicated to St Giles, patron sain ...

                                               

St Martin Outwich

St Martin Outwich was a parish church in the City of London, on the corner of Threadneedle Street and Bishopsgate. Of medieval origin, it was rebuilt at the end of the 18th century and demolished in 1874.

                                               

St Mary Aldermary

The Guild Church of St Mary Aldermary is an Anglican church located in Watling Street at the junction with Bow Lane, in the City of London. Of medieval origin, it was rebuilt from 1510. Badly damaged in the Great Fire of London in 1666, it was re ...

                                               

Church of St Mary Axe

St Mary Axe was a mediaeval church in the City of London. Its full name was St Mary, St Ursula and her 11.000 Virgins, and it was also sometimes referred to as St Mary Pellipar. Its common name derives from the sign of an axe over the east end of ...

                                               

St Nicholas Shambles

St Nicholas Shambles was a medieval church in the City of London, which stood on the corner of Butcher Hall Lane and Newgate Street. It took its name from the Shambles, the butchers area in the west of Newgate Street. The church is first mentione ...

                                               

St Peter le Poer

St Peter le Poer was a parish church on the west side of Broad Street in the City of London. Of medieval origin, it was rebuilt in 1540, and again in 1792 to a design by Jesse Gibson with a circular nave. It was demolished in 1907.

                                               

Fortifications of London

The fortifications of London are extensive and mostly well maintained, though many of the City of Londons fortifications and defences were dismantled in the 17th and 18th century. Many of those that remain are tourist attractions, most notably th ...

                                               

St. Anthonys Hospital, St Benet Fink

St. Anthonys Hospital, in the parish of St Benet Fink in the City of London was a medieval charitable house founded before 1254 as a cell by the Hospital Brothers of St. Anthony of Vienne in France.

                                               

Holborn Viaduct power station

Holborn Viaduct power station, named the Edison Electric Light Station, was the worlds first coal-fired power station, generating electricity for public use. It was built at number 57, Holborn Viaduct in London, by Thomas Edisons Edison Electric ...

                                               

East India Arms

The East India Arms is a pub in the City of London. The building is located on Fenchurch Street next to the place where the East India Company had its headquarters.

                                               

White Hart, Bishopsgate

The White Hart is a former pub at 121 Bishopsgate, London. The librarian at the bishopsgate Institute, Charles Gosse, wrote a story about the White HART in 1930, and believed that it dates back to 1246. Samuel Nixon, the sculptor had his Studio a ...

                                               

1 Leadenhall Street

1 Leadenhall Street is an approved 36-storey, 183-metre skyscraper to be built adjacent to Leadenhall Market in London. It will replace the existing building located at 1 Leadenhall Street known as Leadenhall Court, and is expected to be complete ...

                                               

40 Leadenhall Street

40 Leadenhall Street is a proposed office-led development in London that has been approved for construction. It is located within the City of London financial district and is one of a number of new building developments for the area. The developm ...

                                               

Minerva Building

The Minerva Building was a skyscraper once planned for the eastern edge of Londons main financial district, the City of London. If built, it would have been the first building in the City of London to contain more than 1.000.000 sq ft of office s ...

                                               

Finsbury Circus

Finsbury Circus is a park in the City of London, England, with an area of 2.2 hectares it is the largest public open space within the Citys boundaries. It is not to be confused with Finsbury Square, just north of the City, or Finsbury Park, a few ...

                                               

Monument Square, London

Monument Square is a public square in the City of London, England, next to the Monument. It is to be created as part of Monument Street is pedestrianised. It also features a glass pavilion which was designed by Bere Architects and unveiled on 31 ...

                                               

Lothbury tube station

Lothbury was an authorised underground railway station planned by the Great Northern & City Railway but never built. It was to be located in Lothbury, in the City of London, the historic nucleus and financial centre of London. In November, 1901, ...

                                               

Ludgate Circus tube station

Ludgate Circus was a planned London Underground station that would have formed part of "phase 2" of the Fleet line had it been completed. Taking its name from the nearby Ludgate Circus in the City of London financial district, preliminary prepara ...

                                               

City of London Corporation elections

The City of London Corporation elections occur regularly to provide the elected representatives who run the City of London Corporation. There are 25 departments in the city of London, who presented to the General Council of elders and some Genera ...

                                               

Avondale Square Estate

Avondale Square Estate is a housing estate in Peckham, South East London. It was constructed between 1958 and 1962 and is the largest of City of Londons housing estates. The area the estate occupied belonged to the City since 1251, and was origin ...

                                               

Conduit Mead Estate

The Conduit Mead Estate is a 27-acre estate owned by the City of London Corporation located in Mayfair. Its principal thoroughfares are Conduit Street and Bond Street. In the seventeenth century it was a field, on the banks of the river Tyburn, w ...

                                               

A201 road

The A201 is an A road in London running from Kings Cross to Elephant and Castle. The route passes along kings Cross road, Farringdon road, Farringdon street, new bridge street, Blackfriars bridge, Blackfriars road, London road to the Elephant and ...

                                               

A1 in London

The A1 in London is the southern part of the A1 road. It starts at Aldersgate in the City of London, passing through the capital to Borehamwood on the northern fringe of Greater London, before continuing to Edinburgh. The road travels through the ...

                                               

Amen Corner, London

Amen Corner is a street located off Ave Maria Lane, just to the west of St. Pauls Cathedral and between the Old Bailey and Paternoster Square, in the City of London. On the feast of corpus Christi, monks recite prayers during a religious processi ...

                                               

America Square

America Square is a street and small square in London, off Crosswall and located near Minories. The square was built in about 1760 and dedicated to the American colonies. Plaza of the Americas was developed as part of the square, Crescent and cir ...

                                               

Angel Street, London

Angel Street, once Angell Street, is a short street in the City of London that runs between King Edward Street in the west and St. Martins Le Grand in the east. Street recorded in John Ogilby and William Morgans large scale map of the city as res ...

                                               

Ave Maria Lane

Ave Maria Lane is a street in the City of London, to the west of St. Pauls Cathedral. It is the southern extension of Warwick Lane, between Amen Corner and Ludgate Hill. On the feast of corpus Christi, monks recite prayers during a religious proc ...

                                               

Bank junction

Bank junction is a major road junction in the City of London, the historic and financial centre of London, at which nine streets converge on an area where traffic is controlled by traffic lights and give-way lines. It is named after the nearby Ba ...

                                               

Bartholomew Lane

Bartholomew Lane, in the City of London, runs between the junction of Lothbury and Throgmorton Street in the north to Threadneedle Street in the south. The lane is bordered on its western side by the Bank of England. Lane associated with the auct ...

                                               

Basinghall Street

Basinghall Street is a street in the City of London, England. It lies chiefly in the ward of Bassishaw with the southern end in Cheap and Coleman Street wards. The street and ward are named after the Bassing family, who built a mansion here in th ...

                                               

Beech Street

Beech Street is a street in the City of London. It was formerly known as Beech Lane and was named after Nicholas de la Beche, a lieutenant of the Tower of London in the reign of Edward III in the 14th century. It runs from West to East, from its ...

                                               

Beer Lane

Beer Lane was a street that existed in the City of London up to the early part of the twentieth century. It ran from the east end of Great Tower Street to 53 Lower Thames Street, opposite the Custom House. Stow said "At the east end of Tower Stre ...

                                               

Bevis Marks

Bevis Marks, classified as part of the A1211, is a short street in the ward of Aldgate in the City of London. Traffic runs northwest in a one-way direction into Camomile Street, and parallel to Houndsditch which runs southeast one-way.

                                               

Bouverie Street

Bouverie Street is a street in the City of London, off Fleet Street, which once was the home of some of Britains most widely circulated newspapers as well as the Whitefriars Priory. The offices of the news chronicle, in the British daily newspape ...

                                               

Bull and Mouth Street

Bull and Mouth Street was a street in the City of London that ran between Edward Street and St Martins Le Grand. It no longer exists and was located approximately where Postmans Park is today.

                                               

Byward Street

Byward Street is a road in the City of London, the historic and financial centre of London. It forms part of the A3211 route and, if travelling eastward, is a short continuation of Lower Thames Street from a junction with Great Tower Street, to T ...

                                               

Camomile Street

It is a westward continuation of Bevis Marks, linking that street to Houndsditch via Outwich Street and a junction with Bishopsgate and Wormwood Street. The house on the North side of the old wall of London, and in excavations made for the founda ...

                                               

Cannon Street

Cannon Street is a road in the City of London, the historic nucleus of London and its modern financial centre. It runs roughly parallel with the River Thames, about 250 metres north of it, in the south of the City. It is the site of the ancient L ...

                                               

Charterhouse Street

Charterhouse Street is a street in Smithfield, on the northern boundary of the City of London, forming the boundary with both the London Borough of Camden and the London Borough of Islington. It connects the Charterhouse square and Holborn circus ...

                                               

Chiswell Street

The street, in St Lukes, Islington, runs east-west and forms part of the B100 road. At the west end it becomes Beech Street, with Silk Street running from the south of that junction, and Whitecross Street heading north. At its east end it meets F ...

                                               

Cloth Fair

Cloth Fair is a street in the City of London where, in medieval times, merchants gathered to buy and sell material during the Bartholomew Fair. Today, it is a short residential street to the east of Smithfield in the north-western part of the Cit ...

                                               

Cock Lane

Cock Lane is a small street in Smithfield in the City of London, leading from Giltspur Street in the east to Snow Hill in the west. In the medieval period it was known as Cokkes lane and the location of brothels. 25 cock lane the place where the ...

                                               

Crosswall

Crosswall is a street in the City of London. At its Western end, the street begins at the junction with Crutched monks and the Coopers in a row. At its Eastern end, the street is off to the West. It is home to America square, city of London medic ...

                                               

Devereux Court

Devereux Court is a street in the City of Westminster that runs from Strand in the north to Essex Street in the south. It is entirely pedestrianised. The street was named in honor of Robert Devereux, 2nd Earl of Essex whose mansion once occupied ...

                                               

Eastcheap

Eastcheap is a street in central London that is a western continuation of Great Tower Street towards Monument junction. Its name derives from cheap, the Old English word for market, with the prefix East distinguishing it from Westcheap, another f ...