ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 301




                                               

Horn, Switzerland

Horn is a municipality in the district of Arbon in the canton of Thurgau in Switzerland. Horn is an exclave of Thurgau, enclaved in the canton of St. Gallen.

                                               

Huttlingen, Switzerland

Huttlingen is first mentioned in 1336 as Hutlingen. During the Early Middle Ages Huttlingen was a fief of Reichnau. Starting in 1360 it belonged to the lords of Wellenberg. The low court rights for Huttlingen were separated from the rights of the ...

                                               

Kemmental

Kemmental is a municipality in the district of Kreuzlingen in the canton of Thurgau in Switzerland. The municipality was formed on January 1, 1996 through the merger of Alterswilen, Hugelshofen, Altishausen, Dotnacht, Ellighausen, Lippoldswilen, ...

                                               

Kesswil

Kesswil is a municipality in the district of Arbon in the canton of Thurgau in Switzerland. The village was the birthplace of the influential psychiatrist Carl Jung.

                                               

Kradolf-Schonenberg

Kradolf-Schonenberg is a municipality in Weinfelden District in the canton of Thurgau in Switzerland. The municipality was created in 1996 through the merger of Buhwil, Kradolf, Neukirch an der tour and Schonenberg-an-der-Tur.

                                               

Langrickenbach

Langrickenbach is first mentioned in 889 as Rihchinbahc. Together with Greuter, it was acquired by the Lords of Helmsdorf in 1351. Between 1521 and 1798 it belonged to the cathedral of Konstanz. Any low court verdict in Langrickenbach was automat ...

                                               

Lengwil

The municipality was created in 1998 by a merger of the Ortsgemeinde of Illighausen and the village of Oberhofen bei Kreuzlingen. During the merger, the village of Schonenbaumgarten which had been part of Illighausen went to the municipality of L ...

                                               

Lommis

Lommis is first mentioned in 824 as Loubmeissa and Kalthausern is first mentioned in 1296 as Kalthusiren. In 854 St. Gallen received property in the region around Lommis. About 1200, in the Cantonal of lommis was a fief of the Abbey of Reichenau ...

                                               

Matzingen

Matzingen is first mentioned in 779 as Mazcingas. During the High Middle Ages, the Freiherr of Matzingen had the low court rights. Sonnenberg began to rule over the village in 1402 and remained over the village until 1798. 894 in Matzingen was th ...

                                               

Mullheim, Switzerland

Mullheim is first mentioned in 1254 as Mulhain. In the 13th and 14th Centuries the Ministerialis unfree knights in the service of a feudal overlord family of Mullheim was mentioned. Initially the Counts of Kyburg owned the bailiwick of Mullheim. ...

                                               

Raperswilen

Prehistorically, two fortifications existed within the borders of Raperswilen. Risi was a Bronze Age fort while Schanz was probably from the Iron Age. The modern village of Raperswilen is first mentioned in 1227 as Raperswilar. Buren and Mullberg ...

                                               

Rickenbach, Thurgau

Rickenbach is first mentioned in 754 as Richinbach. The Abbey of St. Gall acquired land in Rickenbach during the 8th century. Then, in 1471, the Abbey acquired the pledged bailiwick of Rickenbach from Balthasar von Hohenlandenberg. Between 1483-1 ...

                                               

Salmsach

Salmsach is first mentioned in 1155 as Salmasa. Salmsach was probably founded by the Bishop of Constance Salomo I who founded a religious community there. It was placed under the Abbey of St. Stephen in Constance by Salomo III in 910. In 1155 the ...

                                               

Sirnach

Sirnach has an area, as of 2009, of 12.41 square kilometers 4.79 sq mi. Of this area, 6.69 km 2 2.58 sq mi or 53.9% is used for agricultural purposes, while 3.09 km 2 1.19 sq mi or 24.9% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 2.37 km 2 0.92 sq mi ...

                                               

Sommeri

In 1967, Sommeri was created when the municipalities of Niedersommeri and Obersommeri merged. Sommeri is first mentioned in 905 as Sumbrinaro. Between 1474 and 1798, the vogteien of Niedersommeri and Obersommeri formed a court of the Prince-Abbot ...

                                               

Sulgen

Sulgen has an area, as of 2009, of 9.13 square kilometers 3.53 sq mi. Of this area, 6.12 km 2 2.36 sq mi or 67.0% is used for agricultural purposes, while 1.18 km 2 0.46 sq mi or 12.9% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 1.7 km 2 0.66 sq mi or ...

                                               

Thundorf, Switzerland

Thundorf is a municipality in the district of district of Frauenfeld in the canton of Thurgau in Switzerland. A village in the town of thundorf lies on a plateau above Frauenfeld. In 1995, the total area was expanded to the East, when Wetzikon an ...

                                               

Tobel-Tagerschen

Tobel-Tagerschen is a municipality in the district of Munchwilen in the canton of Thurgau in Switzerland. The municipality was created in 1999 by the merger and Tobel Tagerschen.

                                               

Uttwil

Uttwil has an area, as of 2009, of 4.34 square kilometers 1.68 sq mi. Of this area, 2.29 km 2 0.88 sq mi or 52.8% is used for agricultural purposes, while 1.33 km 2 0.51 sq mi or 30.6% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 0.7 km 2 0.27 sq mi or ...

                                               

Waldi

Waldi has an area, as of 2009, of 12.23 square kilometers 4.72 sq mi. Of this area, 9.13 km 2 3.53 sq mi or 74.7% is used for agricultural purposes, while 2.05 km 2 0.79 sq mi or 16.8% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 1.03 km 2 0.40 sq mi or ...

                                               

Wangi

Wangi has an area, as of 2009, of 16.43 square kilometers 6.34 sq mi. Of this area, 11.68 km 2 4.51 sq mi or 71.1% is used for agricultural purposes, while 2.67 km 2 1.03 sq mi or 16.3% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 2.02 km 2 0.78 sq mi o ...

                                               

Warth-Weiningen

Warth-Weiningen has an area, as of 2009, of 8.2 square kilometers 3.2 sq mi. Of this area, 4.35 km 2 1.68 sq mi or 53.0% is used for agricultural purposes, while 2.35 km 2 0.91 sq mi or 28.7% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 1.1 km 2 0.42 sq ...

                                               

Wilen

Wilen is a municipality in the district of Munchwilen in the canton of Thurgau in Switzerland. Prior to Thurgaus 1998 reorganisation, Wilen was known as Wilen bei Wil and was part of Rickenbach bei Wil, which was then broken up into the municipal ...

                                               

Wuppenau

Wuppenau has an area, as of 2009, of 12.15 square kilometers 4.69 sq mi. Of this area, 9.07 km 2 3.50 sq mi or 74.7% is used for agricultural purposes, while 2.26 km 2 0.87 sq mi or 18.6% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 0.8 km 2 0.31 sq mi ...

                                               

Acquarossa, Switzerland

Acquarossa is the capital of the district of Blenio in the canton of Ticino in Switzerland. The municipality was created on 4 April 2004 by the merger of Castro, Corzoneso, Dongio, Largario, Leontica, Lottigna, Ponto Valentino and Prugiasco. The ...

                                               

Airolo-Quinto

Airolo-Quinto is the name of a planned municipality in Ticino, Switzerland. The new municipality will be created from existing municipalities of Airolo and Quinto. Effective date not yet determined.

                                               

Aranno

Aranno is a municipality in the district of Lugano in the canton of Ticino in southern Switzerland. Bordering municipalities are Cademario, Iseo, Alto Malcantone, Miglieglia and Novaggio. In Aranno you can find the "maglio", the last pneumatic ha ...

                                               

Astano

Astano is first mentioned in 1272 as Astanum. The old village center has some architecturally notable buildings, such as the Ca da Roma. In the Middle Ages the monastery of S. Pietro in Ciel dOro owned land in Astano. In the 13th Century, there w ...

                                               

Bedano

During the Middle Ages it was under the jurisdiction of the monastery of S. Ambrogio in Milan, while the Bishop of Como possessed the right to tithe in Bedano. It is part of the parish of Gravesano. The village has two chapels, the Chapel of Sant ...

                                               

Bedigliora

Bedigliora is first mentioned in 1335 as Bedaliola. The settlement of Banco is first mentioned as Bango in 1421. Traces of prehistoric settlements in the area have an axe of the Neolithic period, burials from the iron age stele from the Northern ...

                                               

Bedretto

Bedretto is a municipality and a village in the Val Bedretto, the upper most part of the river Ticino. It belongs to the district of Leventina in the canton of Ticino in Switzerland.

                                               

Breggia, Switzerland

Breggia is a municipality in the district of Mendrisio in the canton of Ticino in Switzerland. On 25 October 2009 the municipalities of Bruzella, Cabbio, Caneggio, Morbio Superiore, Muggio and Sagno merged into the municipality of Breggia.

                                               

Brione (Verzasca)

During the Middle Ages it was part of a squadra in the community of Verzasca. Later, it formed a Vicinanza together with Gerra. In 1852 they both became independent municipalities. As one of the main towns of the upper valley, it and Vogorno alte ...

                                               

Brione sopra Minusio

Brione sopra Minusio is first mentioned in 1313 as Briono. Until 1479 Brione Sopra Minusio and formed a Vicinanza which also included Mergoscia to 1313. Between 1479 and 1577, he began to take steps to become an independent municipality. However, ...

                                               

Brusino Arsizio

The village has been inhabited since the Roman era. In 1970, a plundered Roman grave was found with grave goods. The modern municipality of Brusino Arsizio is first mentioned in 1167 as Bruxia. In the 8th century the family Totoniden Campione dIt ...

                                               

Cadempino

Cadempino is first mentioned in 1004 as Cadampinus. Originally, it was owned by the Totoniden family of Campione dItalia. In 844 their lands, including Cadempino, were given to the monastery of S. Ambrogio in Milan. By 1004, Como Cathedral and th ...

                                               

Cadenazzo

Cadenazzo is a municipality in the district of Bellinzona, in the canton of Ticino in Switzerland. On 13 March 2005 the formerly independent municipality of Robasacco was absorbed into Cadenazzo.

                                               

Canobbio

Roman era inscription and cremation graves from the 3rd Century AD indicate that there was an earlier settlement near the modern village. Canobbio is first mentioned in 712 as Canobli. During the Middle Ages it was a farm of the Abbey of S. Ambro ...

                                               

Capriasca

Capriasca is a municipality in the district of Lugano in the canton of Ticino in Switzerland. The municipality was created in 2001 through the merger of Cagiallo, Lopagno, Roveredo, Sala Capriasca, Tesserete and eh.

                                               

Caslano

The center of the village is built within a Roman era fortification. While no trace of the actual fortification still exists, local tradition, the use of Castellano in place names and the compact structure of the once walled enclosure all indicat ...

                                               

Cerentino

During the mid-19th Century, the population declined sharply due to emigration to other countries and a rural exodus. The parish church of Madonna delle Grazie was already in operation in the 15th Century. It was expanded in the beginning of the ...

                                               

Chiasso

Chiasso is a municipality in the district of Mendrisio in the canton of Ticino in Switzerland. As the most southern of the municipalities of Switzerland, Chiasso is on the border with Italy, opposite the Ponte Chiasso a frazione of Como, Italy. T ...

                                               

Comano, Ticino

Comano is a municipality in the district of Lugano in the canton of Ticino in Switzerland. It is the headquarters and studios of TSI Televisione Switzerland-Di-secondary school.

                                               

Corippo

Corippo is a municipality in the district of Locarno in the canton of Ticino in Switzerland. With a population of only 12 residents, July 2018 is the smallest municipality in Switzerland. Despite this, it possesses the trappings of communities ma ...

                                               

Cureglia

Cureglia is first mentioned in 1335 as Curea or Curilia. In 1468 in the village of Comano, Cureglia which belonged to, breaking away from the parish of Lugano. Cureglia became an independent parish in 1594. Parish Church of S. Cristoforo, is firs ...

                                               

Dalpe

In Dalpe a small cemetery from a 5th Century BC Golasecca culture settlement was discovered. Dalpe is first mentioned in 1217 as Albe. In the 13th Century the Gotthard route went through Faido to Cornon and Prato. Dalpe and Cornon formed a Degagn ...

                                               

Frasco

Frasco is first mentioned in 1235 as Felasco. During the Middle Ages, Frasco was part of the greater Vicinanza of Verzasca. In 1395, it and Sonogno formed a single political municipality, which existed until 1843. The village church of St. Bernha ...

                                               

Gordola

Gordola is first mentioned in 1200 as Gordora. In 1219, it was mentioned as Gordolla/e. Gordola was located near major roads throughout its history. During the Middle Ages, the village was on the hills as the valley floor was covered in swamps. I ...

                                               

Grancia

Grancia is first mentioned in 1309 as in loco Grancie. Until 1825 it was part of the municipality of Carabbia. In the late 13th century was a religious Institute in Grantee, which was under the rule of the monastery of Santa Maria in Torello is n ...

                                               

Gravesano

Gravesano is first mentioned in 1254 as de Gravaxana. Gravesano also includes the village of Grumo, which was home to a medieval castle that ruled over both villages as well as manno and Bedano. The castle, which was on the road from Ponte Tresa ...