ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 351




                                               

Roman Catholic Diocese of Avezzano

The Diocese of Avezzano is a Roman Catholic ecclesiastical territory in central Italy, carrying this name since 1986. Before it was known as the Diocese of Marsi. It is a suffragan of the Archdiocese of LAquila.

                                               

Castello Piccolomini (Balsorano)

The castle was built by Antonio Piccolomini, nephew of pope Pius II, in 1460. Now it is an hotel and it has been used as location for several Italian filmes.

                                               

Castle of Barisciano

Placed at 1500 m on the Selva mountain to protect the village of Barisciano, the castle was built around the 8th century in a strategic position on the plateau of Navelli and on access to the Gran Sasso dItalia. In the 13th century it was enlarge ...

                                               

Castello Piccolomini (Capestrano)

The castle was built replacing a Medieval fort, of which remains the central tower. Several families, like Acquaviva, Piccolomini, and Medici, modified the building up to the current structure, completed in 1485. This castle is now used as the ci ...

                                               

Castello Piccolomini (Celano)

The building of the castle took place in several stages. In 1392 Pietro De Berardi built the walls of the castle and the first two floors of the building. In 1451 Leonello Acclozamora built the main floor and the four towers at the corners. In 14 ...

                                               

Corfinio Cathedral

Corfinio Cathedral is a Roman Catholic cathedral in Corfinio, Abruzzo, Italy, dedicated to Saint Pelinus. It was formerly the episcopal seat of the Diocese of Valva and is now a co-cathedral in the Diocese of Sulmona-Valva.

                                               

Corfinium

Corfinium was a city in Ancient Italy, on the eastern side of the Apennines, due east of Rome. It is now near the modern Corfinio, in the province of LAquila.

                                               

Castle of Fossa

The castle of Fossa is the typical result of the phenomena of encastellation that occurred in medieval times. It is located in the highest part of the village, on the eastern side of the Circolo mountain. The original structure was built in the e ...

                                               

San Gregorio (LAquila)

San Gregorio is a village in the Abruzzo region of central Italy. It is a frazione of the comune of LAquila. It sits 584 meters above sea level at the base of Monte Manicola. The village of San Gregorio is 12.11 kilometers from the town of LAquil ...

                                               

Santa Maria in Valle Porclaneta

Chiesa di Santa Maria in Valle Porclaneta is a Romanesque church in Rosciolo dei Marsi, Province of LAquila.

                                               

Castle of Ocre

The first source to mention the castle of Ocre is a Papal bull of Pope Alexander III in 1178 in which it is mentioned among the possessions of the diocese of Forcona. In 1254 it was mentioned with the name of "Cassari Castro" between those saved ...

                                               

Castello Caldora

The castle was built before the 14th-15th century, because at this time was made its first restructuring. The most common assumption is that it dates back to the 11th-13th century, that is the age of the truncated tower placed at the north-east o ...

                                               

Pescina Cathedral

Pescina Cathedral is a Roman Catholic cathedral in Pescina, Abruzzo, Italy, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary under the title of "Saint Mary of the Graces". With the end of the 16th century it was the Episcopal residence of the diocese of Mars ...

                                               

Santa Maria del Colle

The first temple dates back to the 11th century. In 1456 the church was destroyed by an earthquake but was rebuilt as early as 1466, in the new and larger town, becoming a parish church and linking the entire village to the diocese of Cassino.

                                               

Eremo di San Venanzio, Raiano

The Eremo di San Venanzio is the site the ancient hermitage of Saint Venantius of Camerino, located above a stream in a remote ravine within a few kilometers north of Raiano, Province of LAquila in the Abruzzo, Italy.

                                               

Castle of San Pio delle Camere

The Castle of San Pio delle Camere is a medieval castle in San Pio delle Camere, province of LAquila, Abruzzo, southern Italy.

                                               

Castle of SantEusanio Forconese

The building has a structure of an enclosure castle to provide shelter to the population in case of danger. The presence of a tank of drinking water, suggests that the structure was able to provide shelter for long periods of time, in contrast to ...

                                               

Rocca Orsini

Rocca Orsini is located on the highest part of Scurcola Marsicana. It is composed by different structures belonging to different ages. The oldest part was built by the family De Pontibus and dates back to the 13th century, this Norman-Swabian cas ...

                                               

Santa Maria della Vittoria, Scurcola Marsicana

The Abbey of Santa Maria della Vittoria was a Cistercian monastery located in Scurcola Marsicana, Province of LAquila, Italy.

                                               

Roman Catholic Diocese of Latina-Terracina-Sezze-Priverno

The Italian Catholic Diocese of Latina-Terracina-Sezze-Priverno, in Lazio, has existed under this name since 1986. It is the historic Diocese of Terracina, Priverno e Sezze, created in 1217, when the Diocese of Terracina was combined with the Dio ...

                                               

Curcio

Curcio is a frazione of the comune of Colico, Lombardy, northern Italy. The name of Curci was first mentioned in 1585 from the plate, which can still be considered as part of the public washing fountain of the town. The first Church was built in ...

                                               

Olgiasca

Olgiasca is a frazione of the comune of Colico, northern Italy. It is located in the eponymous peninsula on the northern eastern shore of the Lake Como. This building, consisting of a Hill in the village olgiasca in 1241 was leased from the Churc ...

                                               

Piona Abbey

The Piona Priory or Piona Abbey, is a religious complex on the Lecco bank of Lake Como in the territory of the municipality of Colico, northern Italy. The Abbey is on top of a small Peninsula, in the village olgiasca, which, as crooked finger – p ...

                                               

Villatico

Villatico is a frazione of the comune of Colico, Lombardy, northern Italy. Documents Dating from 1239 prove the existence of the mill is located in Villatico. After a flood in 1496 destroyed the town of St. George now Colico piano, Villatico beca ...

                                               

Moncodeno

Moncodeno is the northern mountain slope of the Grigna, part of the Bergamasque Alps in the province of Lecco, Lombardy, northern Italy. Mostly located in the administrative territory of the municipality of Esino Lario, a small part is situated i ...

                                               

Livorno Hills

The Livorno Hills is a mountain range in Tuscany, included in the municipalities of Livorno, Collesalvetti and Rosignano Marittimo, and in the Province of Livorno. Due to its vicinity to the sea, the average height is quite low. The highest mount ...

                                               

Meloria

The Meloria shoal is an attractive archaeological, naturalistic and historical region that makes part, since 2010, of the Area Marina Protetta Secche della Meloria shoal Marine Protected Area assigned to the Parco naturale di Migliarino, San Ross ...

                                               

Quercianella

Quercianella is a frazione of the comune of Livorno, in the province of Livorno, Tuscany, Italy. Represents the extreme south of the town of Livorno. It is separated from the city by a stretch of rocky coastline denominated "Il Romito" and is loc ...

                                               

Biblioteca Laudense

The Biblioteca Laudense is the main public library located on Via Solferino #72, in the town of Lodi, in the region of Lombardy, Italy. The library is in the Palazzo San Filippo, once housing the convent and chapel of the Oratorians. It now house ...

                                               

List of parishes of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Lucca

Pescia S. Frediano Aramo S. Bartolomeo Collodi S. Michele Fibbialla Santi Martino e Sisto Medicina Santi Andrea e Lucia Pontito S. Quirico San Quirico Valleriana S. Maria Assunta Stiappa Santi Quirico e Giulitta Veneri

                                               

Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Camerino-San Severino Marche

The Italian Archdiocese of Camerino-San Severino Marche is a Roman Catholic ecclesiastical territory, seated in Camerino, a city in the Province of Macerata, in the central Italian Marche region, in the Apennines. It is a suffragan of the Archdio ...

                                               

San Biagio, Urbisaglia

A church in this town dedicated to St Blaise, and assigned to the Camaldolese Abbey of Fonte Avellana, was documented since 1195. In 1663, the ruinous state, led to tearing it down, and the materials re-used to restore the parish church of San Gi ...

                                               

Chiaravalle Abbey, Fiastra

Chiaravalle Abbey, Fiastra is a Cistercian abbey situated between Tolentino and Urbisaglia, in the Marche. It is one of the best preserved Cistercian abbeys in Italy. It is surrounded by a large nature reserve.

                                               

Castelvecchio (Castel Goffredo)

Castelvecchio is the ancient fortified village of Castel Goffredo, in the province of Mantua Lombardy region in Italy, surrounded by walls and a moat. The boundaries currently correspond to the garden of the Palazzo Gonzaga-Acerbi to the north, t ...

                                               

House of Gonzaga

The House of Gonzaga was an Italian princely family that ruled Mantua, in northern Italy, from 1328 to 1708, they also ruled Monferrato in Piedmont and Nevers in France, and also many other lesser fiefs throughout Europe. Their family includes a ...

                                               

Castello Tramontano

The castle is situated on a hill, called the lapel hill, above the historical centre of Matera. In the style of the Aragonese castle, with a Central man and was built from 1501 Giovanni Carlo Tramontano, Count of Matera two lower lateral towers, ...

                                               

F.C. Matera

The history of Football Club Matera has covered 82 years of the football from the club based in Matera, Basilicata. It was a professional Italian football club, founded in 1930. Since 2012 the club is definitely excluded from Italian football. Th ...

                                               

Messina Cathedral

Messina Cathedral is a Roman Catholic cathedral located in Messina, Sicily. Formerly the episcopal seat of the Diocese of Messina, it became in 1986 the archiepiscopal seat of the Archdiocese of Messina-Lipari-Santa Lucia del Mela. In June 1947, ...

                                               

History of Legnano

Legnano, an Italian municipality of the Metropolitan City of Milan in the Alto Milanese, has a recorded history from the first mention of the Legnarello district to the present day. During the middle Ages, Legnano was the site of an important bat ...

                                               

Fossoli

Fossoli is an Italian village and hamlet of Carpi, a city and municipality of the province of Modena, Emilia-Romagna. It is famous for the homonym concentration camp and has a population of about 4400.

                                               

Civic Museum of Mirandola

The Civic Museum of Mirandola is a museum housed in the castle of the Pico in Mirandola, in the province of Modena, Italy, dedicated to the archaeology of the territory, religious commissions, ancient furnishings and paintings, coins and medals o ...

                                               

Piscinola

Piscinola, or Piscinola-Marianella, is a northern suburb of Naples, Italy, with a population of ca. 20.000. It is bordered to the north by the Scampia district, north-west with the municipality of Mugnano of Naples, on the west by the Chiaia dist ...

                                               

Soccavo

Soccavo Italian: "beneath the quarry" is bounded on one side by the area of Fuorigrotta and on the other by the Camaldoli hill. At the base of the hill is an historic quarry, which gives its name to the area.

                                               

Fusaro Lake

Lake Fusaro situated in the province of Naples, Italy, in the territory of the community of Bacoli. It is about 0.5 miles from Baia, and about 1 mile from the acropolis of Cumae. It is separated from the sea by a narrow coastal strip. It is a ver ...

                                               

Reggia di Quisisana

The Reggia di Quisisana is a former royal residence located in the frazione of Quisisana, outside of Castellammare di Stabia, in the metropolitan city of Naples, region of Campania, Italy.

                                               

Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Sorrento-Castellammare di Stabia

The Italian Catholic Archdiocese of Sorrento-Castellammare di Stabia in Campania, has existed in its current form since 1986. It is a suffragan of the Archdiocese of Naples, having lost its status as a metropolitan in 1979. The Diocese of Castell ...

                                               

Villa Favorita, Ercolano

A small villa previously stood at the site. Prince Giuseppe Beretta, Duke of Simari and Marquis of Mesagne, commissioned designs for a new building from the architect Ferdinando Fuga, and in 1762 the villa was completed. In 1768, the prince gave ...

                                               

Villa Strongoli, Sorrento

The Villa Strongoli is a former rural palace located on Vittoria Veneto #1, on the Bay of Naples shoreline of Sorrento, in Campania, Italy. Since 1812 the villa buildings have been used as a hotel, the Imperial Hotel Tramontano.

                                               

F.C. Turris 1944

The history of F.C. Turris 1944 A.S.D. has covered 68 years of the football from the club based in Torre del Greco, Campania. It was a professional Italian football club, founded in 1944 as F.C. Turris 1944 and refounded in 2004. In summer 2012 i ...

                                               

Abbey of San Nazzaro e Celso

The Abbey of the Saints Nazario and Celso is a monastic complex in the municipality of San Nazzaro Sesia, Piedmont, northern Italy. It consists of a city wall with circular corner towers, a high Romanesque bell tower, a church in Lombard Gothic s ...