ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 360




                                               

Anguilla, Mississippi

Anguilla is located at 32°58′26″N 90°49′47″W 32.973889, -90.829645. According to the census Bureau United States, the city has a total area of 1.0 square miles 2.6 km2, all land.

                                               

Arcola, Mississippi

According to linguist Keith Baca, the name Arcola may be derived from the Choctaw language meaning "jar". In 1900-ies, Leroy Percy was owned by trail lake plantation, South plantation, near Apollo. In his Travel book 2015 right in the Deep South: ...

                                               

Artesia, Mississippi

Artesia was originally Artesia Junction, a junction point on the Mobile and Ohio Railroad. During the railroads construction in the 1850s, an offer was made to the towns of Columbus and Aberdeen to route the railroad through the towns, but both t ...

                                               

Bassfield, Mississippi

Bassfield is a town in Jefferson Davis County, Mississippi, United States. The population was 254 at the 2010 census, down from 315 at the 2000 census. As of 2017, the estimated population was 216.

                                               

Beaumont, Mississippi

Beaumont is a town in Perry County, Mississippi. It is part of the Hattiesburg, Mississippi Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 977 at the 2000 census.

                                               

Belmont, Mississippi

The settlement of Belmont was originally called Gum Springs with a post office built in 1884. After completion of the Birmingham Division of the Illinois Central Railroad in 1907 the town grew considerably. It was incorporated as Belmont meaning ...

                                               

Benoit, Mississippi

Benoit is located at 33°39′2″N 91°0′31″W 33.650500, -91.008560. According to the census Bureau United States, the city has a total area of 1.0 square miles 2.6 km 2, of which 0.012 square miles 0.03 km 2, or 1.23%, is water.

                                               

Beulah, Mississippi

Beulah is a town in Bolivar County, Mississippi, United States. The population was 348 at the 2010 census, down from 473 in 2000. Beulah is served by Mississippi highway 1. Lake Beulah, in the Bayou, formerly connected to the Mississippi river, t ...

                                               

Blue Mountain, Mississippi

Blue Mountain is a town in Tippah County, Mississippi. The population was 670 at the 2000 census. It is the location of Blue Mountain College, a private Christian liberal arts college.

                                               

Brooksville, Mississippi

Brooksville is a town in Noxubee County, Mississippi, United States. The population was 1.223 at the 2010 census. Sam D. Hamilton Noxubee national reserve is located West of the city, and the black Steppe natural reserve is located in the North.

                                               

Bruce, Mississippi

The town was named for E. L. Bruce, founder of the E. L. Bruce Company, a sawmill operation. The sawmill industry is still vital in the town, with Weyerhaeuser operating a mill, Bruce is also home to other independently owned mills.

                                               

Bude, Mississippi

Bude is a town in Franklin County, Mississippi, United States. The population was 1.063 at the 2010 census. Bude is located on the north bank of the Homochitto River, which bisects the county on a diagonal running from northeast to southwest, whe ...

                                               

Byhalia, Mississippi

Byhalia, pronounced "bye-HAIL-yah" by some residents, is a town in Marshall County, Mississippi, United States. The population was 1.302 as of the 2010 census.

                                               

Caledonia, Mississippi

Caledonia was originally known as Yeggerstown, named after the abundant number of Yeggers now Eggers who settled there in the 1830s. According to the Caledonia Public Library, the town was renamed by one of the Yeggers who saw a blonde girl he as ...

                                               

Calhoun City, Mississippi

Calhoun City is located in south-central Calhoun County., and is bordered on the east by the town of Derma. Mississippi Highway 9 runs through the center of the town, leading north 6 miles 10 km to Pittsboro, the county seat, and 10 miles 16 km n ...

                                               

Cary, Mississippi

As of the census of 2000, there were 427 people, 146 households, and 107 families residing in the town. The population density was 584.4 people per square mile 225.8/km². There were 165 housing units at an average density of 225.8 per square mile ...

                                               

Centreville, Mississippi

Centreville is a town in Amite and Wilkinson counties, Mississippi, United States. The population was 1.684 at the 2010 census. It is part of the McComb, Mississippi Micropolitan Statistical Area. Bethany Presbyterian Church is a historic Church ...

                                               

Chunky, Mississippi

The town has roots as a Choctaw village named Chanki Chitto, which was named after the Choctaw game Tchungkee, a game played with spears and polished stones. In 1811, the native American leader Tecumseh visited the village as he was building a co ...

                                               

Coahoma, Mississippi

Coahoma was founded in the 1880s, and named for its location within Coahoma County. Coahoma was a stop on the Mississippi Delta railroad, completed in 1884.

                                               

Coldwater, Mississippi

The current town square of Coldwater is about two miles south of the Coldwater River, hence the name. The original town began in 1856, called the village of Elm Grove. Construction of the Mississippi and Tennessee Railroad through here in 1858 st ...

                                               

Como, Mississippi

Como is a town in Panola County, Mississippi, which borders the Mississippi Delta and is in the northern part of the state, known as hill country. The population was 1.279 as of the 2010 census. It is in a relatively isolated rural area, which ha ...

                                               

Courtland, Mississippi

Courtland is located at 34°14′21″N 89°56′34″W 34.239122, -89.942670. According to the census Bureau United States, the city has a total area of 1.1 square miles 2.8 km2, all land.

                                               

Crawford, Mississippi

Crawford is located at 33°18′22″N 88°37′19″W 33.306205, -88.621933. According to the Bureau of US census, the town has a total area of 1.4 square miles 3.6 km 2, all the earth.

                                               

Crenshaw, Mississippi

Crenshaw is located at 34°30′10″N 90°11′45″W 34.502661, -90.195841. Most of the town is in Panola County with a small portion on the west side in Quitman County. In the 2000 census, 697 of the towns 916 residents 76.1% lived in Panola County and ...

                                               

Crosby, Mississippi

Crosby is a town in Amite and Wilkinson counties, Mississippi, United States. The population was 318 at the 2010 census. It is part of the McComb, Mississippi Micropolitan Statistical Area.

                                               

Crowder, Mississippi

Most of Crowder is in Quitman County with a portion on the east in adjacent Panola County. In the 2000 census, 462 of the towns 766 residents 60.3% lived in Quitman County and 304 39.7% in Panola County. According to the Bureau of US census, the ...

                                               

Cruger, Mississippi

Cruger is in the northwest corner of Holmes County, in the Mississippi Delta region along U.S. Route 49E. Greenwood is 15 miles 24 km north of Cruger via US 49E, and Yazoo City is 37 miles 60 km to the south. According to the census Bureau of the ...

                                               

Derma, Mississippi

Derma is located in south-central Calhoun County at 33°51′24″N 89°17′11″W 33.856531, -89.286384. It is bordered to the west by Calhoun City. Mississippi Highway 8 runs through the center of town, leading west into Calhoun City and east 6 miles 10 ...

                                               

Doddsville, Mississippi

Daniel Doddsman Sr. and his eldest son, Daniel Jr. were early settlers who hauled logs in the area in 1888, and purchased 107 acres 43 ha of land where the town now stands in 1891. Oliver Eastland, grandfather of U.S. Senator James Eastland, boug ...

                                               

Duck Hill, Mississippi

Duck Hill is a town in Montgomery County, Mississippi, United States. The population was 732 at the 2010 census. Duck Hill is located on highway 51, halfway between Grenada and Winona. Big Bogue Creek flows to the East of the city. Lucy Campbell ...

                                               

Dumas, Mississippi

Dumas is located at 34°38′4″N 88°50′52″W 34.634549, -88.847800. According to the Bureau of US census, the town has a total area of 3.9 square miles 10 km2, all land.

                                               

Duncan, Mississippi

As of the census of 2000, there were 578 people, 177 households, and 124 families residing in the town. The population density was 620.7 people per square mile 240.0/km². There were 186 housing units at an average density of 199.7 per square mile ...

                                               

Ecru, Mississippi

Ecru is a town in Pontotoc County, Mississippi. The population was 895 at the 2010 census. Ecru is home to the largest upholstered furniture plant in the world which manufactures Ashley Furniture.

                                               

Enterprise, Clarke County, Mississippi

Enterprise is located in northwestern Clarke County at 32°10′25″N 88°49′19″W 32.173620, -88.821935. The Chickasawhay River is formed at Enterprise by the confluence of the Chunky River and Okatibbee Creek. U.S. route 11 passes through the Western ...

                                               

Ethel, Mississippi

Ethel is located at 33°7′25″N 89°27′55″W 33.123524, -89.465275, along the Yockanookany River. According to the Bureau of US census, the town has a total area of 0.58 square miles of 1.5 km2, all land.

                                               

Falcon, Mississippi

As of the census of 2000, there were 317 people, 96 households, and 71 families residing in the town. The population density was 808.0 people per square mile 313.8/km². There were 99 housing units at an average density of 252.3 per square mile 98 ...

                                               

Falkner, Mississippi

Falkner is a town in Tippah County, Mississippi, United States. The population was 212 at the 2000 census. The town was named for William Clark Falkner, the great-grandfather of author William Faulkner.

                                               

Farmington, Mississippi

Before 1850, Farmington was a prosperous village. Its prosperity suffered a blow, however, when it was bypassed during the construction of the Memphis & Charleston Railroad.

                                               

Flora, Mississippi

Flora is a town in Madison County, Mississippi, United States. The population was 1.886 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Jackson Metropolitan Statistical Area. The town is named for flora Mann Jones, an early resident.

                                               

Florence, Mississippi

Florence is a town in Rankin County, Mississippi. As of the 2010 census, the town population was 4.141. It is part of the Jackson Metropolitan Statistical Area.

                                               

French Camp, Mississippi

The town dates back to circa 1810, when a Frenchman, Louis Lefleur, established a stand or trading post and inn, on the Natchez Trace. The Choctaw natives and others in the area called it the Frenchmans Camp. Later it was shortened to French Camp.

                                               

Georgetown, Mississippi

Georgetown is a town in Copiah County, Mississippi, United States. The population was 286 at the 2010 census. With its eastern border formed by the Pearl River, it is part of the Jackson Metropolitan Statistical Area. Georgetown is the birthplace ...

                                               

Glen, Mississippi

The town of Glen, located 9 miles 14 km southeast of Corinth, owes its beginning to the Memphis & Charleston Railroad. Glen was originally called "Glendale" and is marked as such on old railroad maps.

                                               

Golden, Mississippi

Golden is a town in Tishomingo County, Mississippi, United States. The population was 191 at the 2010 census. The villages current mayor is Davy Ginn.

                                               

Goodman, Mississippi

Goodman is a town in southeastern Holmes County, Mississippi, United States. The population was 1.386 at the 2010 census, up from 1.252 at the 2000 census.

                                               

Gunnison, Mississippi

Gunnison is a town in Bolivar County, Mississippi, United States. The population was 452 at the 2010 census, down from 633 in 2000. The mayor is Frances L. Ward.

                                               

Hatley, Mississippi

Hatley is located at 33°58′36″N 88°25′14″W east of Amory. According to the United States Geological Survey, a variant name is Tubbs Cross Roads. When Hatley became a town it was on land owned by the TUBB family and named Tubbs crossroads. A few y ...

                                               

Heidelberg, Mississippi

Heidelberg is located in southeastern Jasper County at 31°53′28″N 88°59′27″W 31.891249, -88.990952. The town limits extend northwest to encompass Exit 113 on Interstate 59. U.S. Route 11, running parallel to I-59, crosses the southeastern corner ...

                                               

Hickory Flat, Mississippi

Hickory Flat is located at 34°36′57″N 89°11′18″W 34.6159, -89.1884. U.S. Route 78, a freeway, serves the town via Exit 48. Mississippi Highway 178, following the former route of US 78, runs through the center of the town. Via US 78, it is 20 mile ...

                                               

Hickory, Mississippi

Hickory is a town in Newton County, Mississippi. The population was 499 at the 2000 census. The town is named after Andrew Jackson, nicknamed "Old Hickory," who passed through the area on his way to fight the Battle of New Orleans during the War ...