ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 370




                                               

Wood River, Nebraska

Wood River is a city in southwestern Hall County, Nebraska, United States. The population was 1.325 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Grand Island, Nebraska Metropolitan Statistical Area.

                                               

Wymore, Nebraska

Wymore was platted in 1881 as a railroad town, on land donated by Sam Wymore. The "Welsh Capitol of the Great Plains," Wymore became home to generations of immigrants from Wales, who continued their culture in day-to-day life, founding a Welsh-la ...

                                               

Yutan, Nebraska

Yutan was originally called Clear Creek, and under the latter name was platted in 1876 when the Omaha and Republican Valley Railroad was extended to that point. It was renamed in 1884 after Ietan, an Otoe Indian chief.

                                               

Abie, Nebraska

Abie is located at 41°20′5″N 96°56′59″W 41.334744, -96.949657. According to the Bureau the U.S. census, the village has a total area of 0.11 square miles 0.28 km 2, all of it land.

                                               

Adams, Nebraska

The area that would become the village of Adams was initially colonized by the namesake of the settlement, an Indiana pioneer named John O. Adams 1808-1887. Adams arrived in 1857, however, the village of Adams did not exist until John O. Adams ne ...

                                               

Alda, Nebraska

Alda is a village in Hall County, Nebraska, United States. The population was 642 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Grand Island, Nebraska Micropolitan Statistical Area.

                                               

Alexandria, Nebraska

In the 1840s and 1850s, the Oregon Trail passed through present-day Thayer County, following the Little Blue River through southeastern Nebraska before crossing into the valley of the Platte River. Settlers arrived along the trail in the late 185 ...

                                               

Allen, Nebraska

Allen is a village in Dixon County, Nebraska, United States. It is part of the Sioux City, IA–NE–SD Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 377 at the 2010 census.

                                               

Alvo, Nebraska

Alvo was established in about 1892 when the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad was extended to that point. According to tradition, the community was named after Alvo, the first white child born in the new settlement, who reportedly was the ...

                                               

Amherst, Nebraska

Amherst is a village in Buffalo County, Nebraska, United States. It is part of the Kearney, Nebraska Micropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 248 at the 2010 census.

                                               

Anselmo, Nebraska

Anselmo was platted in 1886 when the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad was extended to that point. It was named for Anselmo B. Smith, a railroad official.

                                               

Ansley, Nebraska

Ansley had its start in the year 1886 by the building of the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad through that territory. The town was named Ansley in honor of a lady of that name who bought several lots.

                                               

Arcadia, Nebraska

Arcadia is located at 41°25′26″N 99°7′29″W 41.423839, -99.124752. According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.57 square miles 1.48 km 2, all of it land.

                                               

Arlington, Nebraska

Arlington is a village in Washington County, Nebraska, United States. The population was 1.243 at the 2010 census. Arlington is named after Arlington, Virginia.

                                               

Arnold, Nebraska

Arnold is a village in Custer County, Nebraska, United States. The population was 597 at the 2010 census. The village was named for George Arnold, a pioneer settler.

                                               

Ashton, Nebraska

Ashton was incorporated as a village in 1889, soon after the railroad established a depot there. An early settler being a native of Ashton, Illinois, caused the name to be selected.

                                               

Atlanta, Nebraska

Atlanta is a village in Phelps County, Nebraska, in the United States. The population was 131 at the 2010 Census. During World War II the town was neighbored by Camp Atlanta, which housed more than 3.000 Nazi German prisoners of war over three ye ...

                                               

Avoca, Nebraska

Avoca is located at 40°47′52″N 96°7′11″W 40.797697, -96.119837. According to the Bureau the U.S. census, the village has a total area of 0.13 square miles, 0.34 km 2, all of it land.

                                               

Axtell, Nebraska

Axtell is a village in western Kearney County, Nebraska, United States. It is part of the Kearney, Nebraska Micropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 726 at the 2010 census.

                                               

Ayr, Nebraska

Ayr is a village in Adams County, Nebraska, United States. The population was 94 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Hastings, Nebraska Micropolitan Statistical Area.

                                               

Bancroft, Nebraska

Bancroft is a village in Cuming County, Nebraska, United States. The population was 495 at the 2010 census. John Neihardt, who later became poet laureate Nebraskas, lived in Bancroft for twenty years and wrote many of his works. His research is s ...

                                               

Barada, Nebraska

First settled in the 1850s, Barada was not incorporated as a village until 1927. The village was named in honor of the mid-19th-century folk hero Antonine Barada, who ran a trading post within the former Nemaha Half-Breed Reservation.

                                               

Barneston, Nebraska

The present-day town of Barneston was settled at the site of one of the largest Oto villages in the 19th century. The agency and a trading post were located there. Barneston was founded by a French fur trapper who was married to an Oto woman. Bar ...

                                               

Bartley, Nebraska

Bartley was platted in 1886 when the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad was extended to that point. It was named for Rev. Allen Bartley, the original owner of the town site.

                                               

Bazile Mills, Nebraska

Bazile Mills is located at 42°30′43″N 97°54′20″W 42.511933, -97.905677. According to the Bureau the U.S. census, the village has a total area amounting to 0.49 square miles 1.27 km 2, all of it land.

                                               

Beaver Crossing, Nebraska

Beaver Crossing was platted in 1875 in anticipation of the building of the railroad which, to the towns dismay, would not arrive until 1887. It was named from a nearby crossing of the Overland Trail over Beaver Creek. May 11, 2014, a powerful EF- ...

                                               

Bee, Nebraska

Bee is a village in Seward County, Nebraska, United States. It is part of the Lincoln, Nebraska Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 191 at the 2010 census.

                                               

Beemer, Nebraska

Beemer is located at 41°55′50″N 96°48′36″W 41.930439, -96.809862 on the table lands adjoining the Elkhorn River bottoms, 84 miles from Omaha and nine miles northwest of West Point, near the geographic center of Cuming County where Nebraska Link 2 ...

                                               

Belden, Nebraska

Belden is located at 42°24′42″N 97°12′28″W 42.411685, -97.207889. According to the Bureau the U.S. census, the village has a total area of 0.15 square miles 0.39 km 2, all of it land. U.S. route 20 and Nebraska highway 57 to serve the community.

                                               

Belgrade, Nebraska

Belgrade is located at 41°28′17″N 98°4′2″W 41.471327, -98.067302. According to the Bureau the U.S. census, the village has a total area of 0.19 square miles of 0.49 km 2, all of it land.

                                               

Bellwood, Nebraska

Bellwood is located at 41°20′32″N 97°14′21″W 41.342174, -97.239220. According to the Bureau the U.S. census, the village has a total area of 0.24 square miles 0.62 km 2, all of it land.

                                               

Belvidere, Nebraska

Belvidere started in 1872 with the building of the railroad through the territory. The settlement was named by an official of the Saint Joseph and Grand Island Railroad, in keeping with the railroads practice of naming stations in alphabetical or ...

                                               

Benedict, Nebraska

Benedict was platted in 1886 when the Kansas City and Omaha Railroad was extended to that point. It was named for E. C. Benedict, a railroad official. Benedict was incorporated as a village in 1890.

                                               

Bennet, Nebraska

Bennet is a village in Lancaster County, Nebraska, United States. It is part of the Lincoln, Nebraska Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 719 at the 2010 census.

                                               

Bertrand, Nebraska

Bertrand was established in 1884 when the railroad was extended to that point. It was named for a railroad official. Bertrand was incorporated as a village in 1885.

                                               

Berwyn, Nebraska

Berwyn is located at 41°21′05″N 99°30′05″W 41.351461, -99.501294. According to the Bureau the U.S. census, the village has a total area of 0.26 square miles of 0.67 km 2, all of it land.

                                               

Big Springs, Nebraska

The first name of the settlement was "Lone Tree", after a large cottonwood tree standing alone on the prairie near the town. It was believed to be over 100 years old at the time of first settlement and could be seen by riders on the Pony Express ...

                                               

Bladen, Nebraska

Bladen was established in 1886 when the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad was extended to that point. The community bears the name of a pioneer settler. Bladen was the home of the Webster County fair in 1906.

                                               

Bloomington, Nebraska

Bloomington was established in 1872 when it was certain that the railroad would be extended to that point. It was likely named after the city of Bloomington, Illinois. He once served the County.

                                               

Boys Town, Nebraska

Boys Town is a village in Douglas County, Nebraska, United States. The population was 745 at the 2010 census. Boys Town is a suburb of Omaha. In the village boys was founded in 1917 as the headquarters of boys town organization, also known as "fa ...

                                               

Bradshaw, Nebraska

Bradshaw was platted in 1879 when the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad was extended to that point. Bradshaw was the maiden name of the wife of the original owner of the town site. In 1890 a tornado struck Bradshaw, killing twelve people and ...

                                               

Brady, Nebraska

Brady is a village in Lincoln County, Nebraska, United States. It is part of the North Platte, Nebraska Micropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 428 at the 2010 census.

                                               

Brainard, Nebraska

Brainard was laid out in 1878 when the railroad was extended to that point. It was named for David Brainerd, an American missionary to the Native Americans, although the spelling is different.

                                               

Broadwater, Nebraska

The Battle of Rush Creek between the U.S. army and warriors of the Cheyenne, Lakota Sioux, and Arapaho Indian tribes took place in 1865 4 miles 6.4 km southeast of present-day Broadwater where Cedar Creek enters the North Platte River. Broadwater ...

                                               

Brock, Nebraska

Brock was founded in 1854. Through its history, the village has been called Dayton, Howard, Clinton, and Podunk. It was renamed Brock, after a railroad official, when the railroad was built through the town in 1882.

                                               

Bruning, Nebraska

Bruning was established in 1887 as a town on the railroad. It was named for Frank Bruning During World War II the U.S. Army Air Forces operated Bruning Army Airfield nearby. In October 1960, inventor and aviator Ed Yost used Bruning as the starti ...

                                               

Bruno, Nebraska

Bruno was founded in 1887 when the Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad was extended to that point. A majority of the early settlers being natives of Moravia caused the name of its capital city of Brno to be selected.

                                               

Brunswick, Nebraska

Brunswick was founded in 1879. A large share of the early settlers being natives of Germany caused the name Brunswick to be selected. According to another source, a local beet grower named the town after Brunswick, Germany, which was also a cente ...

                                               

Burr, Nebraska

Burr was platted in the 1880s when the railroad was extended to that point. The community was named for the burr oak trees near the original town site.

                                               

Burton, Nebraska

Burton is located at 42°54′41″N 99°35′28″W 42.911358, -99.590992. According to the Bureau the U.S. census, the village has a total area of 0.11 square miles 0.28 km 2, all of it land.