ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 503




                                               

Ensign, Kansas

Ensign was originally called Lone Lake, and under the latter name laid out about 1886. It was renamed Ensign in 1888 in honor of its founder, G. L. Ensign.

                                               

Esbon, Kansas

Esbon was laid out in 1873. It was incorporated as a city in 1904. The first post office in Esbon was established in January 1874. Esbon was a shipping point on the Chicago, Rock island and Pacific railway.

                                               

Eskridge, Kansas

Eskridge was laid out in 1868. The town experienced growth in 1880 when the railroad was built through it. Eskridge is named for Charles V. Eskridge, Emporia, Kansas journalist and politician. Colonel Ephraim Sanford, the founder of the town comp ...

                                               

Eudora, Kansas

Eudora is a city in Douglas County, Kansas, United States. The city is located along the Kansas and Wakarusa Rivers. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 6.136.

                                               

Everest, Kansas

Everest had its start about 1882 by the building of the railroad through that territory. It was named in honor of Colonel Aaron S. Everest, an attorney for the Central Branch Union Pacific Railroad who represented Atchison County in the Kansas Se ...

                                               

Fairview, Kansas

Fairview is located at 39°50′24″N 95°43′39″W 39.839885, -95.727369. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.37 square miles 0.96 km 2, all land.

                                               

Fall River, Kansas

Fall River is located at 37°36′26″N 96°1′44″W 37.607361, -96.028769. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.22 square miles 0.57 km 2, all of it land. The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid s ...

                                               

Ford, Kansas

Ford is located at 37°38′10″N 99°45′11″W 37.635977, -99.753013. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.42 square miles 1.09 km 2, all land.

                                               

Formoso, Kansas

Formoso is located at 39°46′46″N 97°59′33″W 39.779355, -97.992458. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.28 square miles 0.73 km 2, all of it land.

                                               

Fowler, Kansas

Fowler was laid out and platted in 1886. It was named for George Fowler, the original owner of the town site. Fowler was the moment shipping on the Chicago, Rock island and Pacific railway.

                                               

Frederick, Kansas

Frederick is a city in Rice County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 18. In 2015, the U.S. Census Bureau estimated the population of 18, though a newspaper estimated the population to be 9.

                                               

Frontenac, Kansas

Frontenac was established as a coal mining town in 1886 in the Cherokee-Crawford Coal Fields in the western Ozark Plateau. A post office was opened in Frontenac in 1887. In the night of November 9, 1888, Frontenac had the worst mining disaster in ...

                                               

Fulton, Kansas

Fulton was originally known as Osaga, and under the latter name was founded in 1869. It was renamed to Fulton in 1878, after the city of Fulton, Illinois. A post office was established under the name Osaga in 1869.

                                               

Galatia, Kansas

Settler David C. Barrows founded the community and laid out the town site in 1885. Originally named Four Corners, settler Henry G. Weber renamed it Galatia after his hometown of Galatia, Illinois. The first building constructed was a United Breth ...

                                               

Galena, Kansas

Although the railroad was built through the territory of Galena in 1871, the town did not start until the discovery of lead there in the spring of 1877. The first post office was established in 1877. The city was originally platted by the Galena ...

                                               

Galesburg, Kansas

Galesburg was laid out and platted in 1871 when the railroad was extended to that point. A post office established in Rose Hill an extinct town was moved to Galesburg, and opened in March 1871.

                                               

Galva, Kansas

For millennia, the Great Plains of North America were inhabited by nomadic Native Americans. From the 16th to 18th centuries, the Kingdom of France claimed ownership of large parts of North America. In 1762, after the French and Indian War, Franc ...

                                               

Garfield, Kansas

Garfield is located at 38°4′35″N 99°14′42″W 38.076310, -99.244994. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.54 square miles 1.40 km 2, all of it land.

                                               

Gaylord, Kansas

Gaylord was founded in 1870. It was named for C. E. Gaylord, a native of Marshall County who was one of the towns founders. The Gaylord post office opened in June 1871. Gaylord was a station on the railroad Missouri Pacific.

                                               

Gem, Kansas

Gem was a shipping point on the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad. The town was named from the Gem Ranch. The first post office in Gem was established in 1885. It was closed in March 2014.

                                               

Geneseo, Kansas

For millennia, the land now known as Kansas was inhabited by Native Americans. In 1803, most of modern Kansas was secured by the United States as part of the Louisiana Purchase. In 1854, the Kansas Territory was organized, then in 1861 Kansas bec ...

                                               

Geuda Springs, Kansas

On the line between Cowley and Sumner counties is a remarkable group of salt springs that put out 100 to 450 gallons each per hour and have been known since the earliest settlement of that section. These springs are on a branch of the St. Louis & ...

                                               

Glade, Kansas

Glade was a shipping point on the Atchison & Lenora division of the Missouri Pacific railroad. A post office was opened in Glade in 1908, and remained in operation until 1989. It was officially discontinued in 1996.

                                               

Glen Elder, Kansas

Glen Elder was originally known as West Hampton, and under the latter name was laid out and platted in 1871 by promoters who built a large gristmill at the site. The town later adopted the name Glen Elder when the post office of that name was mov ...

                                               

Goff, Kansas

Goff had its start in the year 1880 by the building of the railroad through that territory. It was named for Edward H. Goff, an official of the Central Branch Union Pacific Railroad. Name of the post office was officially spelled out rabbits from ...

                                               

Grainfield, Kansas

Grainfield had its start in the year 1879 by the building of the railroad through that territory. It was named for the wheat fields in the vicinity. The first post office in Grainfield was established in may 1879. Grainfield Opera house listed on ...

                                               

Grandview Plaza, Kansas

Grandview Plaza is located at 39°1′52″N 96°47′41″W 39.031249, -96.794751. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.86 square miles 2.23 km 2, of which, 0.84 square miles 2.18 km 2 is land and 0.02 square miles ...

                                               

Greeley, Kansas

The first settlement at Greeley was made in 1854. Greeley was laid out in 1857 by August M Bondi, and named for Horace Greeley. Greeley was incorporated as a city in 1881.

                                               

Green, Kansas

Green was incorporated in 1908. It is named in honor of the fourth Governor of Kansas, Nehemiah Green, who offered to donate a church bell to the town in exchange for the naming rights. A post office was opened in Powellsburgh an extinct town in ...

                                               

Greenleaf, Kansas

Greenleaf was founded in 1876. It was incorporated in 1880. Greenleaf was named for A. W. Greenleaf, the treasurer of the Central Branch Union Pacific Railroad. The post office at Round Grove, Kansas, which had been known at various times as Pros ...

                                               

Gridley, Kansas

Gridley was founded in about 1886. Soon after its founding, inbred families from Arkansas settled on the site. The first post office in Gridley was established on 23 June 1886.

                                               

Grinnell, Kansas

Grinnell is located at 39°7′26″N 100°37′47″W 39.123999, -100.629852. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.51 square miles 1.32 km 2, all of it land.

                                               

Haddam, Kansas

Haddam is a city in Washington County, Kansas, United States. It is named after Haddam, Connecticut. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 104.

                                               

Hamilton, Kansas

Hamilton was founded about 1879. The city was named in honor of Alexander Hamilton, first Secretary of the Treasury. Hamilton was a station and shipping point on the Atchison, Topeka, and railway Santa Fe.

                                               

Hamlin, Kansas

Hamlin is located at 39°54′58″N 95°37′39″W 39.916094, -95.627632. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.09 square miles 0.23 km 2, all of it land.

                                               

Hanover, Kansas

Hanover is a city in Washington County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 682, as of 2014, it was estimated to have decreased to 665. It is the second most populous town within Washington County. The town is pr ...

                                               

Hanston, Kansas

Hanston was originally called Marena, and under the latter name was laid out in 1878. It was renamed Hanston in 1902, taking its name from the local Hann family. Hanston was a station and shipping point on the Atchison, Topeka, and railway Santa Fe.

                                               

Hardtner, Kansas

Hardtner was founded in 1887. It was named for Dr. John Hardtner, a landowner. The first post office in Hardtner was established in July 1887. By 1908 the townspeople had realized that they would need the railroad to the outside world to survive. ...

                                               

Harper, Kansas

Harper was founded in 1877 by a colony from Iowa. The city of Harper, like Harper County, is named for Sergeant Marion Harper of the 2nd Kansas Cavalry, who fell in the American Civil War. Harper was incorporated as a city in 1880. The first post ...

                                               

Hartford, Kansas

Hartford was laid out in 1858. Some of its founders were original natives of Hartford, Connecticut, hence the name. Hartford was incorporated as a city in March 1884.

                                               

Harveyville, Kansas

Harveyville is a city in Wabaunsee County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 236. It is 8.5 miles northwest of the city of Burlingame.

                                               

Havana, Kansas

Havana was founded in about 1870, when a general store was built there. It was named after Havana, Illinois. The first post office in Havana was established in 1871. The growth of Havana in 1886 when the Atchison, Topeka, and railway Santa Fe was ...

                                               

Haven, Kansas

Haven was laid out in 1886, and incorporated as a city in 1901. The first post office in Haven was established in 1873. Local high school football team was on the winning side sided football match against other schools from across the County to S ...

                                               

Havensville, Kansas

Havensville had its start in the year 1878 by the building of the railroad through that territory. It was named for Paul E. Havens, a railroad employee. The first post office in Havensville was established in March 1878.

                                               

Haviland, Kansas

Haviland is a city in Kiowa County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 701. It is home of Barclay College and known for meteorite finds connected to the Haviland Crater and for an annual meteorite festival held ...

                                               

Hazelton, Kansas

Hazelton was founded in 1883. It was named for its founder, Rev. J. Hazelton, a pioneer settler. The first post office in Hazelton was established in October 1883.

                                               

Hepler, Kansas

Hepler was founded in 1871. It was named for B. F. Hepler, president of the company that laid out the town. The first post office in Hepler was created in June 1871. Hepler became an important point of delivery of livestock and grain on the Misso ...

                                               

Herington, Kansas

Herington was named after its founder, Monroe Davis Herington. His name at birth was Davis Monroe Herrington, but he later dropped the second "r" from his last name. National old trails road, also known as the ocean-to ocean highway, was establis ...

                                               

Herndon, Kansas

Herndon was originally called Pesth after Budapest, Hungary and under the latter name was laid out in 1878. It was renamed Herndon in 1879, in honor of William H. Herndon, law partner of Abraham Lincoln. Herndon was incorporated as a city in 1906.

                                               

Hesston, Kansas

For many millennia, the Great Plains of North America was inhabited by nomadic Native Americans. From the 16th century to 18th century, the Kingdom of France claimed ownership of large parts of North America. In 1762, after the French and Indian ...