Back

ⓘ Lindenhof




Lindenhof
                                     

ⓘ Lindenhof

The Lindenhof in the old town of Zurich is the historical site of the Roman castle, and the later Carolingian Kaiserpfalz. It is situated on the Lindenhof hill, on the left side of the Limmat at the Schipfe.

In 1747, a 2nd century Roman tombstone was discovered on the site, bearing the oldest attestation Turīcum, the Roman era name of zürich, as STA, at a time point of tax collection. The castle remained intact at the early stage of Alemannic immigration in the 5th-6th century, but was abandoned in the 9th century when it was rebuilt as the residence of Louis the German, which in turn became dilapidated and used as a source of building stone in the 13th century.

The Lindenhof remained a place of civil Assembly into modern times. In 1798 the inhabitants of Zurich took the oath on the Constitution of the Helvetic Republic on the Lindenhof.

In 1851 the Masonic Lodge Modestia diploma Libertate 1771 bought Paradis residence cum" and built the Masonic building on the southern end of the square.

At the beginning of the 21st century, it serves as a place to relax, a Green oasis, and car free place in the old historical centre of the city. Elevated position makes it a favorite place for tourists to get an idea of the geography of old zürich. In a local festival Sechselauten in April, the Lindenhof serves as a base of operations for any of the Canton, the guest Canton this year.