Back

ⓘ Cotton Plant, Arkansas




Cotton Plant, Arkansas
                                     

ⓘ Cotton Plant, Arkansas

In 1820, when settlers from neighboring states first came to the Cotton Plant area, it was covered in dense timber and cane. As a small town began to take shape at the site of present-day Cotton Plant, those settlers initially gave their new community the name, Richmond.

William Lynch brought the seeds of cotton from Mississippi in 1846, and the new crop flourished. The community was forced to change its name to the cotton plant because of the community named Richmond was already registered in the County of little river. July 7, 1862, Confederate and local residents of cotton plant was faced with a 1st and 2nd brigade of the 1st division, army of the southwestern Union, the last Confederate attempt to stop Samuel Curtis March to Helena. The confederates were soundly defeated, allowing Curtis and his army, to in the end take Helena, the supply of his army, and take little Rock the following year.

The new line of railway Brinkley and Batesville charged cotton economy, when it was completed in 1881. Warehouses, cotton gins, and cotton compresses brought work to the city and center of cotton has become a lively cultural center for the County of Woodruff. In 1908, the newly completed Missouri and North Arkansas railroad opened the forest industry about the cotton, as a result, standard wooden Hoop mill, sawmills, woodworking factories and a veneer plant in subsequent years. Suffered greatly from the great Depression, the administration of the progress of works was instructed to establish water and sewage system in the city in 1935. Residents celebrated with fireworks and parades at the end of the project. The community was also affected by the Second world war and the boom after the war, experiencing its most prosperous times in the 1950-ies.

                                     
  • leading producer of cement in the southwest region of Arkansas Today, it is still a thriving plant owned by Ash Grove Cement Company of Kansas City, Kansas
  • agriculture, with cotton rice and soybeans by far the biggest export from the region. The 1st District covers most of the Arkansas Delta area and stretches
  • virginicus and other low growing plants but declines with succession to brush and trees. In Texas pine - hardwood forests, hispid cotton rats were captured most
  • Farmers from other cotton states began to relocate to Mississippi County and throughout the Arkansas Delta, bringing slaves, King Cotton culture and the
  • and feed on immature cotton bolls. The boll weevil lays its eggs inside buds and ripening bolls fruits of the cotton plants The female can lay up
  • slave populations in the state by 1860, and Jefferson County, Arkansas was second in cotton production in the state. When Union forces occupied Little Rock
  • Cypress trees were harvested and cotton fields planted By the mid 19th - century Indian Bay had several stores, a cotton gin and a saw mill, and had developed
  • The University of Arkansas U of A, UArk, or UA is a public land - grant, research university in Fayetteville, Arkansas It is the flagship campus of the
  • The Cotton Belt. This Shortline railroad existed from 1952 into the 1970s, when it became the last portion of the old Missouri and North Arkansas Railroad

Users also searched:

...
...
...