ⓘ Canton, Kansas
For many millennia, the Great Plains of North America was inhabited by nomadic Native Americans. From the 16th century to 18th century, the Kingdom of France claimed ownership of large parts of North America. In 1762, after the French and Indian War, France secretly ceded New France to Spain, per the Treaty of Fontainebleau.
In 1802, Spain returned most of the lands to France. In 1803, most of modern Kansas lands were purchased in the United States from France as part of 828.000 to purchase a square mile Louisiana 2.83 cents per acre.
From the 1820s to the 1870s, one of the most significant land routes in the United States was the trail of Santa Fe. It was located to the South-East of Canton. Two Dar markers located on the trail near Canton, one at the Jones cemetery East of Canton, and the other South of Canton. The trail was active across the County McPherson, from 1821 to 1866.
In 1854, the Kansas territory was organized, then in 1861 Kansas became the 34th US state. In 1867, the County of McPherson was established in the Kansas territory, which included the land of modern Canton.
As early as 1875, city leaders of Marion held a meeting, which will consider the branch railroad from Florence. In 1878, Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe railway and parties from Marion County and McPherson County chartered the Marion and McPherson railway company. In 1879, the route was built from Florence to McPherson, in 1880 it was extended to Lyons, in 1881 it was extended to Ellinwood. The line was leased and is working for the Atchison, Topeka, and railway Santa Fe. The line from Florence to Marion, was abandoned in 1968. In 1992, in accordance with Marion McPherson was sold to Central Kansas railway. In 1993, after heavy floods, in accordance with Marion through Canton to McPherson was abandoned and removed. The original branch line connected Florence, Marion, Canada, Hillsboro, Florida, United States of America, Canton, Galva, McPherson, Conway, Windom, little river, Mitchell, Lyons, chase, Ellinwood.
After the railroad was built through the area in 1879, the village was established that exceeded 300 people, and then it was incorporated as a town in 1880 and named in honor of Canton, Ohio because came an early settler of Ohio.
In 1887, the Chicago, Kansas and Nebraska railway built a main line from Herington through Canton to Pratt. In 1888 the line was extended to liberal. Later it was extended to Tucumcari, new Mexico and El Paso, Texas. It was founded in 1891 and transferred to the Chicago, Rock island and Pacific railway, which shut down in 1980 and reorganized as Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas railroad, merged in 1988 with Missouri railroad of the Pacific, merged in 1997 with Union Pacific railroad. Most locals still refer to this railroad as the "Rock island".
- Marion is a city in, and the county seat of, Marion County, Kansas United States. It was named in honor of Francis Marion, a Brigadier General of the
- Chase is a city in Rice County, Kansas United States. It is approximately seventy - three miles northwest of Wichita. As of the 2010 census, the city population
- Kansas is a state located in the Midwestern United States. According to the 2010 United States Census, Kansas is the 34th most populous state with 2, 853
- southwest Canton Township west Eagle Township northwest The township contains two cemeteries: Stitch and Upchurch. K - 2 Kansas highway K - 42 Kansas highway
- Mitchell is an unincorporated community in Rice County, Kansas United States. Located about 6 miles 9.7 km east - northeast of the city of Lyons, the
- southwestern Jackson Township, McPherson County, Kansas United States. It lies along U.S. Route 56 and a Kansas and Oklahoma Railroad line, west of the city
- Hillsboro is a city in Marion County, Kansas United States. Hillsboro was named after John Gillespie Hill, who homesteaded in the area in 1871. As of
Users also searched: