Back

ⓘ Alexander, Kansas




Alexander, Kansas
                                     

ⓘ Alexander, Kansas

Alexander is the oldest city in Rush County, Kansas. It was established in 1869 after becoming an important stopping point on the Fort Hays/Fort Dodge Trail officially a part of the Santa Fe Trail. The name of the town originated from Alexander Harvey a Scottish emigrant who operated a stockaded trading post on the trail crossing of the Wet Walnut Creek. Harvey was a prominent and connected figure in western settlement. He was a friend of renown trapper, trader, and Indian Agent William Bent who established Bents Fort in Eastern Colorado. Harveys daughter Adaline at age 20 married the 60 year-old Bent.

Today, Alexander abandoned three story brick school building is a monument to K-96 high way. The former Alexander state Bank building was restored and is now on operation and maintenance of the building at njr clean energy. Community still has the largest grain Elevator in rush County. Elevator farmers cooperative Elevator owned by local farmers. Grumbines scrap Yard is a other business organization in society.

In 2015, "Alexander wind farm" was built South of Alexander. It will cost about $ 85 million and generates 48 megawatts of power. The Alexander wind farm was cost-effective from 1 January 2016.