Back

ⓘ Salisbury, Missouri




Salisbury, Missouri
                                     

ⓘ Salisbury, Missouri

The land where Salisbury is now located was first owned by Prior Bibo, a veteran of the War of 1812, in the late 1820s. A tract of 320 acres was granted to Bibo by the U.S. government as a bonus for his military service. Following two intermediate owners, the land was sold for $400 to Judge Lucius Salisbury in 1856. He had surveyors lay out the town plat in 1857, and the town was founded on April 1, 1867. The city has had a post office since 1863, when Judge Salisbury opened it in his home. He also ran the stagecoach stop from his business, known as "Shop-A-While."

According to the U.S. census, 1870, Salisburys population of 626. Just two years later, the city was struck by a large tornado. Large fires have damaged much of the business district in 1877 and again in 1882. On April 4, 1882, Salisbury was organized and chartered the fourth class in accordance with the laws of the state of Missouri.

In the beginning, businesses included two hotels, a mill, three tobacco factories, three manufacturers of agricultural equipment and some forty other assorted merchants in the late 19th century. Residents can visit the Opera theatre of Salisbury, where the citys location on the Wabash rail line came into the game, whether the result of well-known performers of the time. A published 1896 history of Chariton County lists among the community of businesses and amenities two Newspapers, six doctors, a soda-pop factory, cigar factory, and the city power plant for electricity.

Square Salisbury historic district and A. Frabrishous and Sarah Thomas house are listed on the national register of historic places.

                                     
  • and Sarah A. Thomas House is a historic home located at Salisbury Chariton County, Missouri It was built in 1873, and is a two - story, Italianate style
  • 1920. He was city attorney of Salisbury Missouri from 1922 to 1924, and then county prosecutor for Chariton County, Missouri from 1925 to 1929. He then
  • Highway, running from Santa Monica, California to Chicago, Illinois. In Missouri the highway ran from downtown St. Louis at the Mississippi River to the
  • 1889 in Sinsinawa, Wisconsin. He attended school in Lamar, Missouri and Salisbury Missouri He would become a farmer and later a service station operator
  • Liberty Township is one of ten townships in Adair County, Missouri United States. As of the 2010 census, its population was 324. Liberty Township was
  • Missouri is a state located in the Midwestern United States. In Missouri cities are classified into three types: Class 3, Class 4, and those under constitutional
  • Missouri Its northern terminus is at Route 11 south of Kirksville its southern terminus is at Route 5 Route 240 northwest of Fayette. 1698 Missouri
  • Missouri Route 5 is the longest state highway in Missouri and the only Missouri state highway to traverse the entire state. It is part of a three state
  • code 660 is the telephone numbering plan code for Northern and Western Missouri in the North American Numbering Plan. It was created on October 12, 1997
  • 11.07 km from US 50 on the northwest side of Salisbury to US 13 and US 50 on the east side of Salisbury in central Wicomico County. US 50 Business is
  • U.S. Route 36 US 36 in the state of Missouri is an expressway with many freeway sections, connecting Kansas to Illinois. From Cameron to the Illinois

Users also searched:

...
...
...