ⓘ St. James, Missouri

St. James, Missouri

ⓘ St. James, Missouri

The settlement was originally known as Big Prairie because of its location on the natural prairie of that name in the area. In 1859, when a man by the name of John Wood anticipated the extension of the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway, the settlement became known for a short time as Scioto, named after the town of Scioto, Ohio, where many of the towns early settlers originated. In 1860, the town was named St. James to honor Thomas James, who came from Ohio and created the Meramec Iron Works. The town was intended as a shipping point for the Meramec Iron Works, which had been shipping its products by wagon train. The James Foundation, a charitable organization she founded, was responsible for the St. James City Park and the James Memorial Library, as well as Maramec Spring Park. The City of St. James now owns both the park and the public library.

Mayme Ousley, the first woman to be elected mayor in the state of Missouri, was the first elected mayor of St. James in 1921. City hall was named for her in 2013.

In Maramec iron works district, St. James Church, and Verkamp shelter listed on the National register of historic places.

  • Press, 2009 274 pp. Forr, James Commercial Television Arrives in Missouri The Birth of KSD - TV in St Louis, Missouri Historical Review, 105 July
  • students and 243 graduate students. Missouri Western State University was founded in 1915 as a two - year institution called St Joseph Junior College and held
  • Olive Street in downtown St Louis, Missouri It was designed by architects Alfred B. Mullett, William Appleton Potter, and James G. Hill, and was constructed
  • part of the James Younger Gang. James was born Alexander Franklin James in Kearney, Missouri to Baptist minister Reverend Robert Sallee James and his wife
  • Kirkwood is an inner - ring western suburb of St Louis located in St Louis County, Missouri United States. As of the 2010 census, the city s population
  • Cemetery is a Roman Catholic cemetery located in St Louis, Missouri and operated by the Archdiocese of St Louis. Founded in 1854, it is the second oldest
  • 36 30 parallel, excluding Missouri The 16th United States Congress passed the legislation on March 3, 1820, and President James Monroe signed it on March
  • District. It is in Sappington, an unincorporated area in Saint Louis County, Missouri in the suburbs of Saint Louis. Each year the high school graduates over

Users also searched: