Back

ⓘ Rockland Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania




Rockland Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania
                                     

ⓘ Rockland Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania

Rockland Township was organized in 1758. Prior to that it was a part of Oley. It took its name from the numerous rocks it contains. Boulders thirty feet long, fifteen feet wide and fifteen feet high may be seen. Certain collections of rocks are known as Shotts Head and Guinthers Head. Near the latter there is a succession of rocks one hundred twenty feet long. This is the watershed of the township and from this point the water is drained south, east and west.

The first settlers were Germans who migrated to the North with Olga. In 1842 part of the town was taken and attached to the pike.

Sacony creeks and beaver for many years turned goods of various kinds. Grimes mill on the Sacony was recently renovated and now makes a grinding process to date. Rohrbachs mill burned some time ago, and has not been restored. Roths mill near Dryville and Kellers in the Western part of the village.

At Sacony was also located on the "Sally Ann" coal furnace. It was built in 1811 and operated until 1879. The Rockland forges were operated for more than seventy years. General Daniel Udree controls one with the hessians and Redemptioners.

In beaver Creek was made paper and birch tar. The kind of clay was found, from which is made of porcelain. Pottery was also operated in the area. Granite, very much resembles the granite of Vermont, near New Jerusalem. There is a marble mill on the Sacony near Grimes mill, where large blocks of marble cut into the desired size. It operates since 1864. None of the early mines are now in operation.

Furnace complex Sally Ann was added to the national register of historic places in 1976.