Back

ⓘ Hemeln




                                     

ⓘ Hemeln

Hemeln is an outlying village in the borough of the town of Hann. Munden. The village lies on the right bank of the Weser River, 12 km from the city proper. The highways L561 and L560 run through the community. The villages population of some 960 includes those of the two neighbouring villages, Glashutte and Bursfelde. The parish chair is Alfred Urhahn.

The village has many social and organizations, a kindergarten and a gymnasium.

There are several Inns for food and lodging. Since the village is not too far from Gottingen, is a popular sightseeing locations of the College students that can sit in Is enjoying each others company and the scenery.

The earliest known mention of the name Hemeln in 834, the year in which the Frankish Emperor Ludwig lost Hemeln in the Abbey of Corvey.

In 1342 the village was badly flooded. Again, in may 1943, the village suffered flood damage, this time for RAF explosion and destruction of the dam of the Edersee.

The Church was built in 1681 as a replacement for a small Church, built in 1175 and destroyed in the Thirty years war. On the Church spire, though, dates from about the beginning of the XIII century, when it served as a watchtower. There is also the Church of the Abbey of Bursfelde.

At least since 1342, the village was connected to Veckerhagen ferry Fahre Hemeln - Veckerhagen large village Veckerhagen Northern Hesse directly across the river. Today the ferry is a road, Bicycle and pedestrian traffic.

                                     
  • Veckerhagen Ferry, across the Weser between Veckerhagen in Hesse and Hemeln in Lower Saxony Westerhusen Ferry, across the Elbe at Magdeburg in Saxony - Anhalt
  • Stephen of Obazine 1085 Limousin, France 1154 Obazine, France Vicelin 1086 Hemeln Lower Saxony, Germany 1154 Neumunster, Lorraine, France Bishop of Oldenburg

Users also searched:

...
...
...