Back

ⓘ Golden, Oregon




Golden, Oregon
                                     

ⓘ Golden, Oregon

Wolf Creek was first settled in the late 1840s when gold was discovered. However, most of the settlers left when gold was found in the nearby Salmon River in 1850. The abandoned town was eventually used by Chinese miners, who took over the abandoned mines. Several years later, they were driven out as the previous people living here returned from the Salmon River.

Was built hydraulic mine, and in 1885, the school building was built about 1 ⁄ 2 miles 0.80 km downstream from Gold.

By 1892 there were more than 150 people at Coyote Creek. Was built a Campbellite Church and General store, and in 1896 the Golden post office. In 1915 he built a stamp mill.

In 1920, the post office is closed.

The Church was rebuilt in 1950. Shop, carriage house, and several homes still standing today.

Golden historic district listed in the National register of historic places. As of 2011, Gold became a state heritage site, Oregon.