Back

ⓘ Lemhi Reservation




Lemhi Reservation
                                     

ⓘ Lemhi Reservation

The Lemhi Reservation was a United States Indian Reservation for the Lemhi Shoshone from 1875 to 1907. During almost all this time their main chief was Tendoy.

A group of about 700 that the reservation was established in 1875 also included Indians, Sheepeater, and flatbreads. He was one Tendoy Lemhi Shoshone and Bannock Indian single parent.

February 12, 1875, President Grant 100 square miles, the decree of the reservation for Sacagawea / Sacajaweas people the Lemhi Shoshone in the Lemhi valley. Known as the Lemhi Valley Indian reservation, the decree established a reserve for "the exclusive use of the mixed tribes of Shoshone, Banaka, and the Indians Sheapeater. Almost from the beginning, however, the government and local residents began efforts to cancel the reservation decree. They ultimately succeeded in 1905, and in 1907 the Lemhi began what many have called the "Lemhi trail of tears," which saw their forced removal from their descendants in the Fort Hall Indian reservation.