A lock is a mechanical or electronic fastening device that is released by a physical object, by supplying secret information, or by a combination thereof or only being able to be opened from one side such as a door chain. A key is a device that is used to operate a lock such as to lock or unlock it. A typical key is a small piece of metal consisting of two parts: the bit or blade, which slides into the keyway of the lock and distinguishes between different keys, and the bow, which is left protruding so that torque can be applied by the user. In its simplest implementation, a key operates o ...
A clicker, sometimes called a cricket, is any device that makes a clicking sound, usually when deliberately activated by its user. They usually consist of a piece of thin metal or plastic held in a casing so that the metal is slightly torqued; depressing one end of the metal causes it to pop out of alignment and releasing it causes it to pop back into alignment, each time making a sharp click. With some clickers, the user depresses the metal directly with thumb or finger; with others, a button extends above the surface of the casing so that depressing the button makes the metal click.
In multifunction or all-in-one printers, fax machines, photocopiers and scanners, an automatic document feeder or ADF is a feature which takes several pages and feeds the paper one page at a time into a scanner or copier, allowing the user to scan, and thereby copy, print, or fax, multiple-page documents without having to manually replace each page. Most copiers allow scanning on the flatbed or platen the "glass" or through a document feeder. The vast majority of fax machines have an ADF, allowing the unattended sending of multi-page faxes. Due to the ubiquity of ADF in fax machines, some ...
A turtle excluder device or TED is a specialized device that allows a captured sea turtle to escape when caught in a fishermans net. In particular, sea turtles can be caught when bottom trawling is used by the commercial shrimp fishing industry. In order to catch shrimp, a fine meshed trawl net is needed. This results in large amounts of other marine organisms being also caught as bycatch. When a turtle gets caught or entangled in a trawl net, it becomes trapped and is unable to return to the surface. Since sea turtles are air-breathing creatures with lungs, they eventually drown.
A baggage carousel is a device, generally at an airport, that delivers checked luggage to the passengers at the baggage reclaim area at their final destination. Not all airports use these devices. Airports that do not have carousels generally deliver baggage by placing it on the floor or sliding it through an opening in a wall.
An automatic bleeding valve or air release valve is a plumbing valve used to automatically release trapped air from a heating system. Air, or other gas, may collect within plumbing. For water delivery systems to taps and basins, particularly with good main supply pressure, this air is usually flushed through with the water flow and does not cause a problem, although in some hot-water systems particularly Gravity systems air locks can be problematic. In a closed heating system though, it has no other means of escape and builds up. An air bubble trapped within a radiator means that no hot wa ...
This device utilities a large surface area in contact with a climbing rope to provide sufficient friction along with proper technique to be used as a belay device for rappelling. A figure 8 sometimes just referred to as an 8 is used in conjunction with a climbing harness and locking carabiner to keep a climber safe and control their descent or ones own descent when rappelling
A GRIGRI is an assisted braking belay device manufactured by Petzl designed to help secure rock-climbing, rappelling, and rope-acrobatic activities. Its main characteristic is a clutch that assists in braking under a shock load. The success of this device has led to grigri becoming a common name for devices of this type. In 2011 a new version, the GRIGRI 2, was released to replace the original 1991 model. Petzl released the GRIGRI + in 2017, adding safety features to the original design, and 2019 saw the release of an updated version of the device, simply called the GRIGRI.
A carabiner or karabiner is a specialized type of shackle, a metal loop with a spring-loaded gate used to quickly and reversibly connect components, most notably in safety-critical systems. The word is a shortened form of Karabinerhaken, a German phrase for a "spring hook" used by a carbine rifleman, or carabinier, to attach his carabin to a belt or bandolier.
A tribrach is an attachment plate used to attach a surveying instrument, for example a theodolite, total station, GNSS antenna or target to a tripod. A tribrach allows the survey instrument to be repeatedly placed in the same position over a surveying marker point with sub-millimetre precision, by loosening and re-tightening a lock to adjust the instrument base in a horizontal plane.
- Electronic component
- Medical device
- Appliance, a device for a particular task
1. Arts, entertainment, and media
Other uses in arts, entertainment, and media
- Plot device, as in storytelling
- The Device, a 2014 American science fiction horror film
- Rhetorical device, a technique used in writing or speaking
2. Other uses
- Devices, aspects of a military-award decoration in the United Kingdom
- Personal device, another name for a heraldic badge
- Device, something that can be trademarked, such as a logotype or "logo" in printing or in law
- Dev1ce or Device, nicknames for Nicolai Reedtz, a Danish professional CS:GO player
- A semiconductor device is an electronic component that relies on the electronic properties of a semiconductor material primarily silicon, germanium, and
- A belay device is a mechanical piece of climbing equipment used to control a rope during belaying. It is designed to improve belay safety for the climber
- A plot device or plot mechanism is any technique in a narrative used to move the plot forward. A cliched plot device may annoy the reader and a contrived
- A medical device is any device intended to be used for medical purposes. Thus what differentiates a medical device from an everyday device is its intended
- intrauterine device IUD also known as intrauterine contraceptive device IUCD or ICD or coil, is a small, often T - shaped birth control device that is inserted
- A cloaking device is a hypothetical or fictional stealth technology that can cause objects, such as spaceships or individuals, to be partially or wholly
- Mobile device management MDM is an industry term for the administration of mobile devices such as smartphones, tablet computers and laptops. MDM is
- A covert listening device more commonly known as a bug or a wire, is usually a combination of a miniature radio transmitter with a microphone. The use
- A charge - coupled device CCD is a device for the movement of electrical charge, usually from within the device to an area where the charge can be manipulated
Lock and key
Automatic document feeder
Turtle excluder device
Automatic bleeding valve
Figure 8 (belay device)
Users also searched:
brief history of animation, history of animation pdf, zoetrope,