Back

ⓘ King's Lines




Kings Lines
                                     

ⓘ Kings Lines

The Kings Lines are a walled rock-cut trench on the lower slopes of the north-west face of the Rock of Gibraltar. Forming part of the Northern Defences of the fortifications of Gibraltar, they were originally created some time during the periods when Gibraltar was under the control of the Moors or Spanish. They are depicted in a 1627 map by Don Luis Bravo de Acuña, which shows their parapet following a tenaille trace. The lines seem to have been altered subsequently, as maps from the start of the 18th century show a more erratic course leading from the Landport, Gibraltars main land entrance, to the Round Tower, a fortification at their western end. A 1704 map by Johannes Kip calls the Lines the "Communication Line of the Round Tower".

In 1704 an Anglo-Dutch force seized Gibraltar in the name of Karl, Archduke of Austria, who claimed the crown of Spain during the war of the Spanish succession. The line was named in his honor. They saw use during the twelfth siege of Gibraltar 1704-5, when the Spaniards and their allies the French succeeded in violation of the defense, but were repulsed, during the thirteenth siege of 1727, when they were covered in Spanish during the great siege of 1779-83, when they were again under the Spanish bombing. During the possession of William green as Gibraltars senior engineer from 1761-83, lines have been repaired, improved, and strengthened, and the rocks were sharp to them impossible to climb. Face West, on the Bay of Gibraltar, they were intended to make it possible to destroy any attacking force trying to reach the gates of Gibraltar, as they relate to the Queens line through the communication gallery to end on the 13th of September 1782.

After the great siege, the British boring a tunnel called the Hanover gallery to join the line of kings Landport number 3 the battery pack lock. The message of the Trench was also dug on the adjacent princes of the line. In the rear of the kings, the British dug a tunnel called the Gallery of kings, which was parallel with the lines to tie them to the Queens lines and can be used as a bomb shelter.

Together with the front Landport protection, three sets of lines is such a formidable obstacle, which the Spaniards call sea approach to Gibraltar-El Boca de Fuego, "mouth of fire". British clergyman William Robertson, recorded their impressions of the lines from his visit in 1841:

Bottom line there are two lines on the excavations, one above the other, communicating with the underground tunnels and stairs. They are much shorter than top of the line, and as excavations less than wonderful, but like batteries, they are much more formidable, and are excellent examples of fortification. The batteries here are not under the earth as it is in the top lines, but stand out from the rock, but the connection is mostly through the excavation of the rock, which also carved out of the spacious hall to the wardroom, and, in fact, full of barracks for the soldiers.

The line of Kings was used as an artillery platform for more than 200 years. During the Anglo-Spanish war of 1762-3, five 9-PDRS and one 6-PDR was recorded is mounted on the line. Two 14-emplacements were installed on the lines for a great siege, at a point called either Kings battery or black Battery. During the Second world war the line was redesigned with a second wall built behind the parapet and formed a space under the roof to provide positions for machine guns and Hotchkiss anti-tank guns.

The line is now abandoned, overgrown and not officially open to the public, although they have been described as "not just one of the most, compared to some of the most famous military installations in the world." As John Harris of the Royal Institute of British architects have already put it, they "are able to provide one of the greatest architectural experiences in the Western world. the atmosphere of the great siege is vivid and evocative in the extreme." The Gibraltar conservation society proposed a £500.000 to the scheme in the early 1980s to preserve and reopen the lines and around the batteries, galleries and bombproof magazines, but the scheme did not go ahead and the line is still neglected and opened despite the fact that scheduled as an ancient monument. You can visit the lines of Kings with the city, the area was cleaned and prepared for this.

                                     
  • brought the eastern lines which had reached Norwich in 1882, and Cromer in 1887, in direct contact with the lines west of Lynn. King s Lynn s original station
  • revised the Book of Common Prayer along Unitarian lines in 1785. Although Freeman still considered King s Chapel to be Episcopalian, the Episcopal Church
  • The Lines of Torres Vedras were lines of forts and other military defences built in secrecy to defend Lisbon during the Peninsular War. Named after the
  • February 2018, King s Hawaiian had expanded its Georgia bakery from 100 employees to more than 650 employees and three production lines By July 2019
  • The King s Own Scottish Borderers was a line infantry regiment of the British Army, part of the Scottish Division. On 28 March 2006 the regiment was amalgamated
  • Coordinates: 52 24 N 0 16 E 52.4 N 0.26 E 52.4 0.26 King s Ely, which was renamed from The King s School in March 2012, is a coeducational independent

Users also searched:

...
...
...