Back

ⓘ Ariah Park




Ariah Park
                                     

ⓘ Ariah Park

Ariah Park is a small town in the Riverina region of New South Wales, Australia, 35 kilometres west of Temora and 65 kilometres south of West Wyalong. The town is within the Temora Shire near Burley Griffin Way. On Census night 2011, Ariah Park had a population of 268 people. The town is listed by the National Trust as a Conservation Area.

The citys name came from resident Sam Harrison who purchased a portion of the Wellman estate and then named that portion Ariah Park marked area. The name comes from the anglicisation of the tribe of the local aboriginal language, the word "narriyar", which means "hot".

Tourist information make reference to the city of his wowsers, bowsers and peppercorn trees. And wowser Australian word for "mealy-mouthed hypocrite, a pious prude, one who condemns or seeks to curtail the pleasures of others or who works to his or her own rigid morality effect on anyone who chooses not to drink alcohol". In Bowser refers to everyday the machine is used to pump petrol or diesel into a vehicle that many antique examples can be seen on the main street. The peppercorn tree is a common variety, of which many samples fill the main street.

The village was founded in 1850. Ariah Park was connected to the main southern railway line via Temora in 1906. The village was declared the year after this connection and flourished at the expense of neighboring settlements, broke through the dam. Park post office Ariah opened earlier on 26 August 1903. The peppercorn trees were planted in 1916 and railway silos built in 1919.

The district produces sheep and wheat. New South Wales Railways launched its first bulk-wheat loading operations in the city in 1916.