Back

ⓘ Concord Historic District




Concord Historic District
                                     

ⓘ Concord Historic District

The Concord Historic District encompasses the least altered portion of the historic heart of Concord, New Hampshire. The 25-acre district, located just north of the modern commercial and civic heart of the city, includes the citys oldest surviving house, the site of its first religious meetinghouse, and the Pierce Manse, a historic house museum that was home to President Franklin Pierce during his rise to national prominence. The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.

The original heart of Concord was platted in 1726, on a terrace above the floodplain on the West Bank of the river Merrimack. Much, about 1.5 acres 0.61 ha in size, were dressed in the vicinity of horseshoe pond, and it is the earliest of these that make up the district. The area is characterized by a uniformity of setting, despite a diversity in architectural style, partly because most of the buildings of the same size dwelling located on the same size plots. Large buildings, including churches, schools, and professional offices, stand on larger lots.

The oldest surviving house, that of Reverend Timothy Walker, was built in 1735. It was also the first house in the area was fortified and surrounded by a palisade from native attack. The area was home to the Concords the first meeting house was not preserved. Residential buildings in the district represent a variety of architectural styles popular in the 19th century, including Greek revival, pier pastor, a Victorian Gothic cottage in Street 278 and the late Gothic brick building on North main street 266. There are only a few buildings in the district built after the 1920s, among them the Lutheran Church.