Back

ⓘ Hornbach, Germany




Hornbach, Germany
                                     

ⓘ Hornbach, Germany

Hornbach is a municipality in the Sudwestpfalz district, in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany. It is situated southwest of the Palatinate forest, on the border with France, south of Zweibrucken. It is part of the Verbandsgemeinde Zweibrucken-Land.

The monastery was the most likely cause of the founding of the city of Hornbach. According to legend, Saint Pirmin †11 / 3 / 753 have chosen this place for Foundation of the monastery. A plaque in the renovated monastery Museum indicates that the monastery was founded in 737. Pirmin is buried in the crypt under the old Church, a short distance from the monastery.

In 1220, Hornbach was under the direct spiritual authority of the Bishop of Metz. King Charles IV, Holy Roman Emperor 1316-1378, also known as king Charles IV in Weisswasser in Bohemia, gave the town Hornbach its town rights on 16 April 1352, in connection with the creation of the office of mayor.

Hieronymus Bock, considered the first modern botanist, lived at the monastery beginning in 1533.

Hornbach was supposedly uninhabited from 1636 for 3 years, during the Thirty years war of 1618-1648. This time completely empty and deserted area to avoid troops. Because of the war, the number of citizens decreased from 88 families, 10 widows to 75 houses to 30 people and 5 widows. 40% of the population was evacuated. Master perestroika began in 1648. In 1657, the restoration of the city rights were confirmed. With regard to agriculture, in zweibrücken in Westrich, where there were extensive vineyards, these vineyards were not replanted. After the war, the Dukes of zweibrücken called Tryolean and Swiss immigrants into their emptied lands Westrich. During the "reunion" 1680-1697, the Duchy Palatinate-zweibrücken was incorporated into the centralist French state. Foreign immigrants were encouraged to settle in the Saar and Alsace provinces, receiving generous privileges. 17 Oct 1680, the French government promised settlers the following: cattle, goods, and money, in addition to free from taxes for 10 years. Later, the Duchy of Palatinate-zweibrücken fell as a result of the French revolution. Cm. also, "Schweizer Einwanderer im Westrich, 1650-1750, Zweibrucker Union of entrepreneurs of fur familienforschung is 1995, ISBN 3-924171-23-8."

The historic town is located on a hill between the small rivers Hornbach and Schwalb, and surrounded by a fortified wall and town gates. In Stadtplan des Favart, showing the encircling stone wall, interior streets, Church, monastery and other buildings produced about 1704.

The historic town Hall remains in the public domain.

After extensive stabilization and a beautiful renovation with historic and archaeological sensitivity, the original monastery is currently used as a hotel, restaurant and cafe, the Kloster-Hornbach. Part of the space houses a Museum.

New Church-Evangelical-Protestant Church built in 1785, stands next to the monastery. This extension and renovation of the old Church, which has been used for hundreds of years prior to that date. There is also a very old Catholic Church, next to the tomb of Pirminius.