Back

ⓘ San Pablo Atlazalpan




San Pablo Atlazalpan
                                     

ⓘ San Pablo Atlazalpan

The main church of San Pablo Atlazalpan, dedicated to St Peter and St Paul, dates from the 18th century. The interior was restored in 1982. The façade of the "Reform" pantheon was built in August 1906.

In 1979 came a priest named Adolfo Zamora in San Pablo atlazalpan. He forbade women to visit the Holy Father and St Pauls main Church, if they were trousers, short skirts or with head uncovered. Furthermore, divorced women were not allowed, and children of single women were denied baptism. The mass began to be conducted in Latin, after the traditional Lefebvrist and creating short Tridentine rite.

Measures the priests instigated religious hatred among the citizens. Two groups: the traditionalists, who were present at the mass, and Apostolic or "reform" of the Catholic rites which were conducted in Spanish and without restrictions. The last group created a makeshift Church in a house on the corner of calles independence and Hidalgo, and the priests brought in from other localities to the jury. Both churches claimed the name "St. Peter and St. Paul." Of the diocese of Nezahualcoyotl disavowed the practice Lefebvrist and in 1985 recognized private house as a Church. Public works ceased to function, as followers of the various groups refused to cooperate. Even families were divided among themselves. In new other teachings, formulated in the Millennium Declaration, such as evangelism, Pentecostalism, and the Mormons took advantage of the conflict to engage followers, and share of urban population professing the Catholic faith has fallen from 90% to 10% over 10 years.

The conflict came to an end in August 2004, when the decision of court the State police entered the main temple, and he was returned to the apostles. Traditionalist group remains in existence, but decided to build his own temple, which was opened in 2011. Since then, both sides co-exist peacefully in this city.