Back

ⓘ Corporate Town of Port Augusta West




Corporate Town of Port Augusta West
                                     

ⓘ Corporate Town of Port Augusta West

The Corporate Town of Port Augusta West was a local government area in South Australia centred on the suburb of Port Augusta West. It was gazetted on 6 October 1887. They met in council chambers in Loudon Road, which ceased to be used by its successor council upon its amalgamation, but remained in use by the community until their demolition in the 1940s, at which time the building was described as "definitely unsafe". It was not uncommon for positions to be elected unopposed or without any nominations at all, in the election of November 1903, no one nominated for either mayor or councillor.

In 1923, the Council controlled area of 2.100 hectares 8.5 km 2, with a capital value of £59.710. It had a population of 384, according to the census of 1921, living in 90 houses. On April 28, 1932, along with the corporate Davenport and part of the district Council of Woolundunga, it is combined with the existing corporate town of Port Augusta, the predecessor of the present city of Port Augusta. The second-last mayor, James Beerworth, will go in as the first mayor of the United Council, and subsequently to serve in both houses of the Parliament of South Australia.

                                     
  • established on 27 December 1855 when Port Adelaide was declared a Corporate Town centred at the port of Adelaide which had been opened some years prior in 1837
  • Standard The Naracoorte Herald The Recorder The Transcontinental Port Augusta West Coast Sentinel Whyalla News ACM is represented in Victoria by The
  • The Corporate Town of Jamestown was a local government area in South Australia, centred on the town of Jamestown. It was proclaimed on 25 July 1878, severing
  • The Corporate Town of St Peters was a local government area in South Australia from 1883 to 1997. It was proclaimed on 2 August 1883, when the area was
  • in 1865 and ultimately amalgamated into the district council. The Corporate Town of Kapunda was proclaimed on 13 July 1865. The inaugural mayor was Matthew
  • amalgamated into the Town of Port Adelaide, the latest in what became a series of annexations of small port - side councils into the larger corporate township. The
  • The Corporate Town of Gladstone was a local government area in South Australia, centred on the town of Gladstone. It was proclaimed on 8 March 1883, separating
  • newer corporate town the name was changed to District Council of Woodville by state government proclamation. The council offices relocated from Port Road
  • Town of Thebarton was a local government area of South Australia from 1883 until 1997. It was seated at the village of Thebarton, now an inner west suburb
  • narrow gauge railway between Port Augusta and Alice Springs. A standard gauge line replaced the southern section from Port Augusta to Maree in 1957, but used

Users also searched:

...
...
...