Back

ⓘ Corporate Town of Peterborough




Corporate Town of Peterborough
                                     

ⓘ Corporate Town of Peterborough

The Corporate Town of Peterborough was a local government area in South Australia centred on the town of Peterborough. It came into existence on 7 October 1886 when it separated from the surrounding District Council of Yongala. It was initially known as Petersburg, it was renamed Peterborough on 10 January 1918, one of many South Australian places to be renamed as a consequence of World War I. It gained additional sections from the Yongala council on 30 August 1888 and 25 November 1897, but lost some territory in 1935 when Yongala amalgamated with the adjacent District Council of Coglin to create the District Council of Peterborough. The two municipalities would coexist alongside each other, the town surrounded by the district council, for more than sixty years.

The Council acquired the building of the St. Petersburg Institute on the main street behind the town hall in 1894, he survives today, but has been converted to residential use. He built a modern Peterborough town Hall next door in 1927, a large, richly decorated building is an architectural monument, and now serves as the seat of its municipality successor. In 1913, the Council decided the urban Institute, the electric power later, the plant was expanded several times and in 1936 was described as "the most relevant on the outside, with the exception of port Pirie". In 1986, ownership of rolling stock shopping centre Peterborough railway preservation society was conferred upon the Council by the South Australian Parliament after a parliamentary investigation.

Enterprise Peterborough, ceased to exist in 1997, when it merged into the surrounding district Council of Peterborough.

                                     
  • Corporate Town of Moonta The Corporate Town of Moonta was a local government area in South Australia from 1872 to 1984, centred on the town of Moonta.
  • The Corporate Town of Wallaroo was a local government area in South Australia from 1874 to 1997, centred on the town of Wallaroo. The municipality was
  • Corporate Town of Kadina The Corporate Town of Kadina was a local government area in South Australia from 1872 to 1977, based in the town of Kadina. The
  • Council of Woodville, distinguishing it from the Corporate Town of Hindmarsh for more than a century until the two bodies were merged again as the City of Hindmarsh
  • The Corporate Town of St Peters was a local government area in South Australia from 1883 to 1997. It was proclaimed on 2 August 1883, when the area was
  • The Corporate Town of Quorn was a local government area in South Australia from 1883 to 1969, centred on the town of Quorn. It was incorporated on 25 October
  • The Corporate Town of Davenport was a local government area in South Australia that existed from 1887 to 1932 on land now located within the suburb of Port
  • The Corporate Town of Semaphore was a local government area in South Australia. It was created on 20 December 1883, and re - gazetted on 17 January 1884
  • Corporate Town of Burra The Corporate Town of Burra was a local government area in South Australia from 1876 to 1969. The municipality was proclaimed

Users also searched:

...
...
...