Back

ⓘ District Council of Caltowie




                                     

ⓘ District Council of Caltowie

The District Council of Caltowie was a local government area in South Australia, centred on the town of Caltowie and surrounding cadastral Hundred of Caltowie. It came into operation on 28 February 1878, with the first five councillors appointed by proclamation. The town and hundred had both been laid out in 1872. The council initially met in local hotels, leased private offices for a period, and met at Hornsdale Station for a year, before constructing purpose-built council offices in Charles Street, Caltowie, in 1896.

The Council was originally divided into four branches: Central, South-Western and North-Western, electing one councillor, and East, electing two councillors. She received the previously unincorporated hundred Tarcowie, in accordance with the Law on district councils 1887, which resulted in a system of ten representatives of many parishes. By 1904 their number was reduced to six members of one parish each. The Council is responsible for an area of almost 200 square miles per year.

Caltowie district Council was abolished as of may 1, 1935, when it merged with the district Council of Belalie Mannanarie and hundreds from the district Council in addition, for the formation of the district Council of Jamestown.

                                     
  • District Council of Burra The District Council of Burra was a local government area in South Australia from 1872 to 1935. The council was proclaimed on
  • The District Council of Kanyaka was a local government area in South Australia that existed from 1888 to 1969. The council was established on 5 January
  • The District Council of Birkenhead was a local government area in South Australia centred on the suburb of Birkenhead. It was gazetted on 22 February 1877
  • The District Council of Yongala was a local government area in South Australia from 1883 to 1935, seated at Yongala. The council was established on 8 March
  • The District Council of Hawker was a local government area in South Australia from 1888 to 1997, centred on the town of Hawker. At its creation it was
  • The District Council of Millicent formerly the District Council of Mayurra was a local government area in South Australia seated at Millicent. According
  • The District Council of Blyth - Snowtown established as the District Council of Blyth and Snowtown was a local government area in South Australia from
  • District Council of Sedan formerly District Council of Keyneton and Swan Reach was a local government area in South Australia seated at the town of
  • The District Council of Swan Reach formerly District Council of Blanchetown was a local government area in the Murraylands of South Australia from 1888
  • The District Council of Brown s Well was a local government area in South Australia from 1916 to 1997. The name stemmed from the Brown s Well pastoral

Users also searched:

...
...
...