Back

ⓘ Santi Pietro e Paolo, Buonconvento




Santi Pietro e Paolo, Buonconvento
                                     

ⓘ Santi Pietro e Paolo, Buonconvento

A church at the site dates to 1103, but was refurbished in the 18th century, with the brick facade completed in 1723. The belltower dates to the early 19th-century.

History recalls that on 24 August, 1313, Henry VII of Luxembourg, Holy Roman Emperor died, probably from malaria, at the age of 40 years during the siege of Siena. The temple was badly damaged during the invasion of Perugia in 1358.

The Church has been enriched by its position on the pilgrimage route to Rome. Inventory since 1895, lists the following works: frescoes of the medieval icon of the virgin and of St. Catherine of Alexandria on the artist Nasini family in Saint-Dominique, Stefano Volpi, the Immaculate Conception by Giacomo Pacchiarotti, and a virgin with the fact that Arcangelo Salimbeni. Vestries were paintings attributed to Lippo memmi.

Enthroned Madonna and child with angels, about 1450, Matteo di Giovanni remains in the Church. The polyptych by Pietro di Francesco Orioli an image of the Madonna on the throne and saints in the apse, together with two 17th century paintings.

Many of the original works, including paintings by Duccio di Buoninsegna, Sano Di Pietro, and are now in the Museum DARTE Sacra della Val darbia.

The Church originally had paintings by Bartolo Di Fredi depicting the virgin and the angel of the Annunciation with saints Mary Magdalen and St. Anthony Abbot 1519, part of a polyptych.

                                     
  • Pietro Lorenzetti, Andrea di Bartolo, Matteo di Giovanni and other Tuscan painters, taken from local churches. The church of Santi Pietro e Paolo has