Back

ⓘ Guttenberg National Fish Hatchery and Aquarium Historic District




Guttenberg National Fish Hatchery and Aquarium Historic District
                                     

ⓘ Guttenberg National Fish Hatchery and Aquarium Historic District

The Guttenberg National Fish Hatchery and Aquarium Historic District is a nationally recognized historic district located in Guttenberg, Iowa, United States. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991. At the time of its nomination the district consisted of four resources, all of which are contributing buildings. This district also contributes to the Front Street Historic District. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service had a long history of involvement with wildlife conservation in Iowa, especially fisheries. They established fish rescue program along the Mississippi River in 1903 and a research station at Fairport in 1910. The development of the lock and dam system in the 1930s brought the fish rescue operations to an end because they eliminated of the backwaters that trapped them. The fish hatchery was developed at that time.

Property for the facility was donated to the city of Portland and U.S. army corps of engineers. The construction of the hatchery and aquarium, the superintendents residence and the garage was begun in 1938 and completed in 1939 by the public works administration. The pump house was completed a year later. In fishponds on twelve-Mile island was built by the works Progress administration between 1939 and 1941. Fish grown in ponds were distributed among lakes, rivers and reservoirs in Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Nebraska and South Dakota. They also come with samples of fish at the Shedd aquarium in Chicago, the national Aquarium in Washington, D.C., aquariums in Dallas, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, laboratory control fish in La Crosse, Wisconsin, as well as several University research laboratories. The ponds were closed and moved on the upper Mississippi national wildlife and fish refuge in 1971. The rest of the facility was transferred to Iowa in 1974, and he received the titles to the properties from the Federal government in 1986.

                                     
  • the National Register of Historic Places listings in Clayton County, Iowa. This is intended to be a complete list of the properties and districts on the

Users also searched:

...
...
...