Back

ⓘ District Council of Terowie




District Council of Terowie
                                     

ⓘ District Council of Terowie

The District Council of Terowie was a local government area in South Australia from 1888 to 1935, centring on the town of Terowie.

It was established by the district councils act of 1887, which came into force on 5 January 1888. The establishment of the Council and advocacy of residents for the establishment of local government in Terowie in 1887. The Council includes cadastre hundred of Ketchowla, Terowie and want to create it. The Council has rented offices in the building of the Terowie Institute from 1888 to 1890 before purchasing the Anglican Church, where the congregation grew, the temple was used as Council chambers until the end of existence of the Council. It was part of the hundred of Vit in 1899, the result of which will increase from three to four numbered wards. Tips for public works included repairs throughout the County and kerbing, footpaths, stormwater, and planting trees in the village of Terowie, with more limited runs in Yarcowie.

In 1923, the Council is responsible for an area of 475 square miles, with a population of 1.300, living in 300 houses. The capital value of the property assessed for a reported £406.619. This year, the only other "settlement value" in addition to reported Terowie Yarcowie. The Council ceased to exist from may 1, 1935, when it was merged in the neighbouring district Council of Hallett after the local government Commission report to reduce the number of municipalities in the state. Complex mergers saw it almost simultaneously to part of the abolished district Council of Booborowie and then, on the new boundaries, to merge with the Hallett Council. The merger was vehemently opposed to Council Terowie.

                                     
  • District Council of Burra The District Council of Burra was a local government area in South Australia from 1872 to 1935. The council was proclaimed on
  • The District Council of Kanyaka was a local government area in South Australia that existed from 1888 to 1969. The council was established on 5 January
  • The District Council of Birkenhead was a local government area in South Australia centred on the suburb of Birkenhead. It was gazetted on 22 February 1877
  • The District Council of Hawker was a local government area in South Australia from 1888 to 1997, centred on the town of Hawker. At its creation it was
  • The District Council of Millicent formerly the District Council of Mayurra was a local government area in South Australia seated at Millicent. According
  • The District Council of Blyth - Snowtown established as the District Council of Blyth and Snowtown was a local government area in South Australia from
  • District Council of Sedan formerly District Council of Keyneton and Swan Reach was a local government area in South Australia seated at the town of
  • The District Council of Swan Reach formerly District Council of Blanchetown was a local government area in the Murraylands of South Australia from 1888

Users also searched:

...
...
...