Back

ⓘ City of Payneham




City of Payneham
                                     

ⓘ City of Payneham

The District Council of Stepney was proclaimed on 25 July 1867, separating from the original District Council of Payneham. It was divided into five wards: Hackney, Stepney, Payneham, Marden and Stepney North. On 27 February 1868, the original Payneham council was renamed the District Council of Campbelltown, and when the western part of the Stepney council was severed to form the Corporate Town of St Peters on 30 August 1883, the remainder of the Stepney council assumed the District Council of Payneham name. The council rented offices at the Payneham Institute, and met at the Masonic Lodge Hall.

It became a municipal Corporation on 1 October 1945 as a corporate city district pancham, and gained city status as a city district, pancham on 28 November 1964, when the population officially exceeded 15.000. In 1964, the Council opened a new community center containing offices of the Council, library and two halls. In the 1960s and 1970s, he participated in the development of a number of social objects: adey reserve, 1961, 1966 and 1970, Patterson reserve club area of pancham memorial swimming centre 1968, the district of pancham and district senior citizens centre, 1972, 1974 Drage reserve and in the area of pancham Youth center 1978. Opened in 1980 a new public library district pancham, and community center area of pancham opened in 1984.

In 1985, with an area of 7.1 sq. km with a population of 16.502 according to the census of 1981, down from 17.543 in 1971. It had significant communities of two elderly residents 19% of the population and people of Italian descent, approximately 14% were born in Italy, it is estimated that 40% of Italian origin.

In 1973-1975 Royal Commission to investigate local government areas recommended to the Board of St. Peters merged back in the area of pancham, but it was rejected at that time. However, the pressure for smaller urban municipalities to merge continues, and on 1 November 1997 it merged with the town of Kensington and Norwood and the city of St. Peters to form the Norwood area of pancham & SV. Peter.