Back

ⓘ Laurieton, New South Wales




Laurieton, New South Wales
                                     

ⓘ Laurieton, New South Wales

Laurieton is a coastal town on the Mid North Coast of the Australian state of New South Wales. Laurieton is the largest town in the Camden Haven district. Laurieton is 365 km north of Sydney and 42 km south of Port Macquarie. It lies between the base of North Brother Mountain and the Camden Haven River. At the 2016 census, it had a population of 1.986.

The biggest school in the district, the school of Camden, is approximately 5 km from Laurietons shopping and business center.

Captain James cook named "the brothers" on 12 may 1770 for their resemblance to mountains in his native Yorkshire. He unwittingly reflecting the name given to them Birpai. Camden haven was to walk to John Oxley in 1818 and was first settled by the Europeans, in the early 1820-ies. The convict settlement established at the nearby Port Macquarie in 1821 and the first settlers were limeburners burning oyster shells for buildings. Some of them lived at the foot of North brother. There was also a small garrison of soldiers to catch the escaping convicts. In 1827 the area was surveyed by Armstrong and guilding as part of the assessment for the Australian agricultural company.

Joseph Laurie J. p. 1832-1904 interests of the forest in the Laurieton area in partnership with his brothers Andrew and Alexander. He moved to the area from Taree in 1872 and led the Laurieton post office when it opened on 1 Oct 1875. Before the opening of the post office the area was known as peach orchard or peach grove sources are different and the name change recognised the Laurie familys local influence.

In the Laurieton timber mill, owned by Laurie brothers and built on the banks of the river, was officially opened on 12 January 1876 and was a store front at the same time. The plant was originally operated by Joseph Laurie. Two years later, a second sawmill was built by John Hibbard in Camden head are not. However, the plant was moved to the Hastings river. Another mill, owned by John Roger started working shortly after.

Joseph Laurie, there are two ketches from Laurieton. "Mary Laurie" was built at Laurieton and launched on 11 Nov 1884. "Annie Laurie" was built at Brisbane water.

By 1886 Laurieton had 4 timber mills operating in the immediate vicinity. There were 3 steam punts with 2 more being built and recently opened a bakery.

Captain George de Frain was trading to Camden Haven in his KETCH "Ethel B. T." from 1887 and later also operated a steam tug "unique". In 1893 he entered into partnership with John Roger.

William McKay & Hugh Bibby was leased and operated Lauries Joseph sawmill from around 1880. When Joseph Laurie sold his interests to George de Frain in 1896 the mill was operated in partnership de Frain, Mackay and Bibby until 1899, when George de Frain took full responsibility. George de Frain also acquired the lease for the mill built by Mr. Dun and Bagan later known as the Dun-Bagan mill operating on land opposite Laurieton.

In 1891 the lands Department proposed changing the name of Laurieton to Camden does not coincide with a change of name of the former Camden haven-Kendall. This was extremely unpopular with Laurieton residents and the name remained unchanged.

Steamer "Hastings", sailing ship "Isabella de Frane" and steamship "Cobar" were built at Laurieton between 1901 and 1903.

De Frain watched him extensive business interests in the area until his death in 1907.

Catalina seaplane carrying entertainer Bob hope was forced to make an emergency landing on the Camden haven adjacent to Laurieton on August 14, 1944. Bob hope returned to Sydney after entertaining troops in GUAM. The local postmaster lent him money for his hotel bills after the Luggage was dropped. Held impromptu party the next day, Hope and his entourage travelled by road to Newcastle and flew from there to Sydney. Bob hope maintained contact with the residents of Laurieton for many decades afterwards.

                                     
  • Williams born on Kangaroo Island, South Australia an Australian politician and a member of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly representing Port
  • Macksville is a small town on the Nambucca River in Nambucca Shire, New South Wales Australia. It is halfway between Sydney and Brisbane, along the Pacific
  • located on the Mid North Coast of New South Wales Australia, about 390 km 242 mi north of Sydney, and 570 km 354 mi south of Brisbane. The town is located
  • redistribution, Port Macquarie has always been based on Port Macquarie and Laurieton Camden Haven. It was a safe National Party seat prior to the election
  • an Australian television station licensed to, and serving northern New South Wales NEN9 Tamworth Upper Namoi commenced transmissions on 10 April 1965
  • While crossing the bar Laurieton at midnight Sunday 5 October 1913 the steamer Comboyne again become stuck fast, this time on the south spit of the bar, and
  • Service, Nambucca Heads Port Macquarie Bus Service Sonter s Bus Service, Laurieton The business was put up for sale however in April 2003 the business collapsed
  • arts at Comboyne Street, Kendall, Port Macquarie - Hastings Council, New South Wales Australia. It was built from 1908. It is also known as the Kendall
  • is endemic to the a small area in mid north coast region of New South Wales around Laurieton Kendall and Kew where is mostly situated on rocky hillsides
  • north and east Queensland, and northeastern New South Wales where it extends as far south as Laurieton C. equisetifolia subsp. equisetifolia C. equisetifolia

Users also searched:

...
...
...