ⓘ Business engineering
Business engineering is the development and implementation of business solutions, from business model to business processes and organizational structure to information systems and information technology.
Business engineering focuses on developing innovative business solutions that take a sociotechnical systems STS approach. The STS approach addresses an enterprise as a total system in the same manner as an airplane system or an industrial facility, since they possess a similar level of complexity.
Business engineering combines knowledge in the fields of business administration, Industrial Engineering, as well as information technology and connects it to all aspects of transformation, from means of presentation to process models to cultural and political considerations cf. Baumol/Jung.
Business engineering focuses on challenges arising from the transformation of the industrial society into an information society cf. Winter, that is the digitization of enterprises, economy, administration and society. Through the ongoing consumerization digital services for individuals have also become a crucial part of research cf. Hess/Legner. Because of the major importance of information technology, business engineering is often held to be a subfield of Business Informatics, although it is also sometimes regarded as a form of Organization Development for its emphasis on Change Management.
Engineering Management is a very close discipline which overlaps significantly with Business Engineering; the main differences are that Industrial Engineering focuses primarily on the goods sector less on services, on technical systems and the interface between those systems as well as the users from a production point of view.
Osterle/Blessing characterize business engineering as follows:
- Business engineering distinguishes between a strategic, an organizational and a technological design level. Contemplating different design objects on different levels enables a focused view of the individual dimensions of transformation, S. 191. Segmenting task at hand into different levels provides for security and helps reducing the complexity of the transformation process.
- Business engineering ensures a holistic view of all dimensions. It supports not only the design of new business models, business processes and information systems, but also their implementation. Therefore, it contemplates all dimensions resources and processes involved of the transformation.
- Beside the technical design, business engineering includes the political and cultural dimensions of a new business solution. The political and cultural dimensions and change management are crucial factors for the success or failure of a transformation cf. Baumol. Therefore, business engineering is an interdisciplinary approach. It divides the design levels of a company.
- Business engineering focuses on the consumer from a business perspective. As of now, this also holds true for the deep penetration of all spheres of private life with information technology consumerization, which is equally being treated from a business and not an individual point of view.
- Business engineering refers to the method and model-based design theory for companies in the information age, S. 7. Business transformations along with their technical and socio-economic aspects are far too important and complex to be realized without applying methods and models. Methods and models not only provide for transparency during the process of transformation, they also specify the division of labor, create a foundation for communication and enable the documentation of the companys systematic reorientation. The division of labor and application of engineering principles differentiate the "construction" in accordance with business engineering from individualistic "creation" cf., S. 88.
At the Business Engineering Forum in St. Gallen, experts from science and business annually discuss new developments within the discipline.
2.1. Approaches ARIS Architecture of Integrated Information Systems
The ARIS concept cf. Scheer distinguishes between views and levels of description. The views are the organizational, data, performance, functional and control view of processes. For every description view there are three distinct levels of description. These are the technical concept, the data processing concept and the implementation level. Through this framework, specific methods can be used to describe individual elements of the model. Those methods help depict and improve business processes, from fundamental business questions to the implementation on the IT level.
2.2. Approaches Business Engineering St. Gallen
The St. Gallen approach to Business Engineering comprises fundamentals and methods for different kinds of transformation projects. It distinguishes between the design level strategies, organization and information systems within the transformation process and, thus, reduces the complexity of the transformation.
- Information system: System of applications and technical services, software and data components as well as IT infrastructure components. According to the relevance of IT in the respective organization, this level is further divided into the subcategories of "alignment", "software and data" and "IT infrastructure" cf. Winter/Fischer.
- Strategy: Capabilities incl. brand and resources, business segments, customer access, competitive position, ecosystem, and revenue and cost structures
- Organization: company organization structure and operational structure, focus on business processes with accompanying process performances, procedures, tasks and business objects
The St. Gallen approach to Business Engineering has already been applied in more than 1.000 consultancy projects S&T 2008. Moreover, it receives support from renowned software tools such as the ARIS toolset Scheer 2001, S. 18, ADOben Aier et al. 2008 or Semtalk.
2.3. Approaches Semantic Object Model SOM
The Semantic Object Model SOM cf. Ferstl/Sinz provides a framework for the conceptual modeling of system types. The modeling concept differentiates three levels of such systems: The strategic business plan; the operational business process models which focus on process types; and the specifications for implementing application systems. These levels can also be regarded as constituting perspectives on the system. They correspond to the external, internal, and resource perspectives. Subsequently, the levels of the model undergo a further conceptual division according to the organizational architecture, the process model, the principles of coordination or the object system.
2.4. Approaches The Open Group Architecture Framework TOGAF
The Open Group Architecture Framework TOGAF cf. Weinberger presents a structure for organizational architectures which offers a holistic approach to designing, planning, implementing and maintaining information architectures and, thus, covers an important section, albeit not the entire scope, of BE. When applying TOGAF, the enterprise architecture is usually modeled in the three domains: business architecture, information systems architecture consisting of application architecture and data architecture, and technology architecture.
2.5. Approaches Integral Design of Organizational Structures and Information Systems
Van Meel and Sol 1996 define business engineering as an "integral design of organizational architectures and information systems". Dynamic modeling as well as simulation constitute the key components of their approach.
2.6. Approaches The3rdgear Business Engineering Model
With a specific focus on the demands of small business, The3rdgears Business Engineering system has proven to be effective and relatively easy to implement for small to medium-sized businesses. Unique in that it involves the use of a specialised customisable software platform that integrates key business structures and operational performance processes. While The3rdgear system encapsulates the key areas of Strategy, Business Process, Technology and People, it has been proven to provide unusually consistent, predictable outcomes for small businesses due to the SME specific design of its improvement processes and software applications. This, combined with its ease of use for business owners and managers has made The3rdgear model popular within the SME marktet place.
2.7. Approaches Business Engineering IBE Hong Kong
There has been another notion and approach put forth since 2005 by the Institute of Business Engineers IBE while sharing the common vision and advocacy of multi-disciplinary and holistic business view, and targeting the addressed issues in business practice and education.
The IBE put forth some principles and framework addressing the modeling of the business in a holistic, concise and structural manner. The model abstracts distinct, clearly defined key elements, processes, functions and relations from the complex, vague and loosely coupled business concepts. With the emphasis of holistic and integrative system view, it helps structurally and concisely capture a specific circumstance of business in four tiers, which are in turn composed of smaller constituents, for strategic planning and implementation:
- Market environment: an external tier that reflects the environment that affect the micro marketing circumstance that the business is facing.
- Finance: an internal tier that concisely reflects the enterprises financial status and performance, indicating the well-being of the enterprise by the financial data presented in balance sheet and income statement.
- Business functions: an internal tier that reflects an enterprises composition of the core business functions that collaboratively undertake all internal processes to achieve business goals with the constraints of their allocated cost.
- Industry environment: an external tier that reflects the environment that affect the macro marketing or industrial circumstance that the business is facing.
Furthermore, to a certain extent, this model is claimed to provide a generic framework for filling the gap of other business engineering approaches in specifying business circumstances, serving as one of key pieces of puzzle in the full picture of business engineering.
3.1. Education In France
In France, Telecom Ecole de Management or Telecom Business School offers a masters degree in International Business Engineering that contains business administration, marketing, economics, finances, and IT.
3.2. Education In Belgium
In Belgium, there are numerous institutions offering bachelor and master programs in business engineering, among them the Solvay Brussels School of Economics and Management Universite Libre de Bruxelles and Vrije Universiteit Brussel, the ICHEC Brussels Management School, the Louvain School of Management Universite catholique de Louvain, Universite de Namur, the HEC Management School - University of Liege, the KU Leuven, the Ghent University, the University of Antwerp and the University of Hasselt. The programs contain both management methodology, business administration, economics, mathematics, and technical elements and computer science.
3.3. Education In Mexico
In Mexico, there are two main colleges that offers a professional Business Engineering program Monterrey Institute of Technology and Higher Education ITESM seek the following competencies:
- To Manage IT Projects, efficiently working in multidisciplinary teams and respecting people and their different opinions.
- Keep abreast of the rapid dynamics of technological development in the area, recognizing the need to commit to personal and professional development.
- To comprehend, model and design organizational processes defining and implementing process technologies and solutions that seek innovation and improvement of the organization, with an international perspective of the society and the culture.
- Analyze, design and implement Information Technology applications, understanding and solving in innovative and creative ways problems of different companies, institutions or organisms, through the efficient use of Information Technologies.
In the other hand the Instituto Tecnologico Autonomo de Mexico ITAM program contains business administration, mathematics, marketing, economics, finances, and IT and computer science. Students focus in entrepreneurship and business consulting.
3.4. Education In Germany
In Germany, the Steinbeis University offers a masters program in Business Engineering. The contents of the degree course held in English include, similar to Belgium, management methodologies as well as fundamentals of business administration and economics. As in Finland, an academic degree in Engineering is required in order to be eligible for admission.
3.5. Education In Switzerland
In Switzerland, professionals can receive the degree of Executive MBA in Business Engineering at the University of St. Gallen or at the PHW Hochschule Wirtschaft Bern. The program at the University of St. Gallen lasts 18 months and includes two modules in the USA Santa Clara University and China Shanghai Jiao Tong University where students learn about the local dynamics, culture and differences in management methods compared to Europe. The programs main focus lies on providing practical knowledge in the areas of business strategy/business model, business processes/organizational structure, information systems/information technology, and the political and cultural dimensions of economic activity. The systematic exchange of experience among the students complements the educational concept. At the end of the program, the newly received Business Engineers are qualified to actively and holistically transform their businesses and take over executive positions within their organizations. To be eligible for admission, professionals must have an academic degree and about 5 years of work experience. The program at the PHW Hochschule Wirtschaft Bern can be completed in 4 semesters and focuses on strategies of internationalization, technology management, business models and value added concepts, information management and systems, value-centered corporate governance and turnaround management.
3.6. Education In Chile
The University of Chile offers a masters program in Business Engineering M. Sc. since 2003. As in Germany and Belgium the program combines management theory, business administration, finance, economics, science and technology. The program consists of a theoretical as well as a practical part during which the students develop a project for an organization in the private or public sector. The program is designed to be completed in four semesters. Hundreds of projects have been developed since 2003, producing a validation of the proposed approach to design and a generation of knowledge that has been formalized and applied in new projects. Graduates are awarded with the academic degree "Master of Science in Business Engineering" MBE after taking the courses of the program and successfully completing their projects.
3.7. Education In Peru
The University of the Pacific offers an academic degree in business engineering since 2008. The students deepen their knowledge in the three areas of Process Engineering, Project Engineering and Information Technology Engineering while additionally being able to choose from a wide variety of subjects to complement their studies, e.g. mathematics, physics, informatics, economics, philosophy, sociology etc.
3.8. Education In El Salvador
The Escuela Superior de Economia y Negocios ESEN initiated a business engineering program for professionals in 2009 which focuses on the systems perspective, the modeling and analysis of complex relationships between resources, employees and information, as well as the integration of engineering expertise with a quantitative and qualitative business understanding. The program combines elements of different disciplines, e.g. business administration, economics, management, innovation and information technology. The career has a duration of 5 years with the possibility that in the third cycle of the 4th year, the student can study in Germany, Chile, United States and Mexico as long as your CUM is up 8.0.
3.9. Education In the Philippines
The Ateneo de Naga University offers a bachelor program in business administration B. Sc. with the possibility to specialize in business engineering. The four-year program aims at training young technology-based founders and students who want to pursue a career in technology-related industries. Practice-oriented projects encourage the creativity and innovative energy needed to conceptualize and implement products and ideas while advancing the socio-economic development of the Bicol region at the same time. Moreover, the university maintains close relations to entrepreneurs and businessmen in order to enable the students to learn from "best practices".
3.10. Education In Nicaragua
The National University of Engineering in Nicaragua UNI offers the career "System Engineer" since the 90s, it focuses on the administrative field, organization, human resources management, production costs control, service marketing, project formulation and follow-up as well as other disciplines with the main objective of doing a correct and successful financial control at the private enterprise; it also gives the students the main skills and knowledge on informatics, design, data base management and information modeling to use the technology as a tool to solve problems at the companies and for the society. The career has a duration of 5 years with different completing options to get the degree of "System Engineer" or "Ingenieroa en Sistemas".
3.11. Education In China and Hong Kong SAR
The Institute of Business Engineers IBE has been offering executive education programs on Business Engineering in Hong Kong SAR and China since 2008. This course is designed to establish a holistic and integrative business mindset for senior executives and to build up their reasoning logics with key business components for judging and decision making in the business environment. The Business Engineering course has also been offered as a major elective course to the non-business undergraduate programs of Sun Yat-San University and as an elective course to the MBA program of South China Normal University of GuangDong province from 2007 to 2008. Recently, the course" From CPA to CPA Plus” crafted under the principles of the Business Engineering of IBE has been offered for building up the systematic business mindset of the accounting professionals of HKICPA Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants since 2017.
- choice of residential or business location known as land use forecasting Passenger trips are the focus of transportation engineering because they often represent
- The Indian Engineering Services IES are the services which cater to the technical and managerial functions of the government of India in the field of
- Software engineering is the systematic application of engineering approaches to the development of software. Software engineering is a direct sub - field
- Academy of Engineering RAEng is the UK s national academy of engineering The Academy was founded in June 1976 as the Fellowship of Engineering with support
- needs of the business Business analysis as a discipline includes requirements analysis, sometimes also called requirements engineering It focuses on
- The College of Engineering Trivandrum, commonly known as CET, is the first engineering college in Kerala, situated in Thiruvananthapuram, the capital
- Systems engineering is an interdisciplinary field of engineering and engineering management that focuses on how to design and manage complex systems over
- well as a number of part - time studies all within the fields of engineering business economics, management and communication and multimedia. The department
- Electrical engineering is an engineering discipline concerned with the study, design and application of equipment, devices and systems which use electricity
- Saud University The journal was established in 1995 as the Business Process Re - engineering Management Journal and obtained its current title in 1997
- ST Engineering Singapore Technologies Engineering Ltd is an integrated engineering group in the aerospace, electronics, land systems and marine sectors
Users also searched:
business and engineering degree, business engineer jobs, business engineering in india, business engineering pdf, business engineering salary,