Back

ⓘ Goulburn-Oberon Road




Goulburn-Oberon Road
                                     

ⓘ Goulburn-Oberon Road

The Goulburn to Oberon Road is a New South Wales country road linking Goulburn near the Hume Highway to Oberon. The road is designated as Main Road 256 and is "seen as a future bypass of Sydney".

At its Northern end, the road passes through imposing plantations of Radiata Pine trees that supply the timber complex of Oberon.

It is now fully sealed, having undergone extensive work between 2002 and 2008. In the final section of about 5 kilometres 3.1 Mi long, located between the Abercrombie river and the end of Wombeyan caves road was sealed in February 2008. In 2007, the upper Lachlan Shire has received a grant in the amount of $710.000 over 3 years from New South Wales to cover one third of the cost of conversion and sealing that remaining section and will allocate $1.420.000 of Council funds over those three years to complete the work. With the support of Oberon Council the work was completed in the first year.

In conjunction with oconnell road from Oberon to Bathurst, this scenic route provides a leisurely and surprisingly direct route between Bathurst and Goulburn. The descent into the Abercrombie river gorge from the North is particularly scenic.

Of the caves in the Wombeyan road leading through the Wombeyan caves reserve and on to Mittagong starts in the area of Richlands, about halfway between Goulburn and Oberon. In the Laggan-Taralga road from Coburg North ends in the historic town of Taralga a little further to the South. In the Bannaby road to the locality starts in Bannaby Taralga.

                                     
  • Wales. A road was built to Blaxland by convicts within six months. Easier routes to inland New South Wales were discovered towards Goulburn to the southwest
  • plateau is traversed by the Kanangra Walls Road and can be accessed either from Oberon or Jenolan Caves. The road leads to Kanangra Walls. There are several
  • Australia. It branches off the Main South line at Joppa Junction, south of Goulburn and was opened in stages to Tarago January 1884 Bungendore March 1885
  • Hillston, Roto Line. Australian Railway History, Vol 58, no. 836. June 2007. Date, K November 1997 Network Review: Junee - Goulburn Railway Digest.
  • section from south of O Connell to Kelso is now part of the Bathurst - Oberon Road and from Kelso into central Bathurst still remains as part of the Great
  • Heritage Rail Finley Pioneer Railway Station Goulburn Rail Heritage Centre Historic Electric Traction Oberon Tarana Heritage Railway Lachlan Valley Railway
  • later in 1951. The line crosses the Great Dividing Range by following the Goulburn River and Bylong Valleys from Sandy Hollow to Bylong, with a tunnel under
  • Tocumwal station where there was a break - of - gauge with the Victorian Railways Goulburn Valley line from Shepparton. The line was opened to Jerilderie station

Users also searched:

...
...
...