Back

ⓘ Izhora River




Izhora River
                                     

ⓘ Izhora River

The Izhora, also known as the Inger River, is a left tributary of the Neva River on its run through Ingria in northwestern Russia from Lake Ladoga to Gulf of Finland. The Izhora flows through Gatchinsky and Tosnensky Districts of Leningrad Oblast as well as through Pushkinsky and Kolpinsky Districts of the federal city of Saint Petersburg. The settlement of Ust-Izhora is situated at the confluence of Izhora and Neva, halfway between Saint Petersburg and Schlisselburg. The towns of Kommunar and Kolpino are located on the Izhora as well. The river is noted as the farthest Swedish forces ever reached between the Viking Age and the Time of Troubles.

The calculated length of the Izhora is 76 kilometres 47 mi, and the area of its drainage basin is 1.000 square kilometres 390 sq mi. The river draws its water mainly from natural groundwater springs, snow melt, and rain water. The river has a sustainable underground water supply in both summer and winter, never drying up or freezing through.

The source of the Izhora is located at the village of Skvoritsy, northwest of the town of Gatchina. The Izhora flows to the east, passes at the northern outskirts of Gatchina, and east of Kommunar enters Tosnensky District. There, for a short stretch it makes the border between Saint Petersburg north and Leningrad Oblast south, returns to the oblast and gradually turns north. In Kolpino, the Izhora enters the federal city of Saint Petersburg. There, it flow north and joins the Neva in the settlement of Ust-Izhora.

The drainage basin of the Izhora includes the northern parts of Gatchinsky and Tosnensky Districts, as well as some areas within Saint Petersburg.

                                     
  • located on the right bank of the Neva River southeast of the center of Saint Petersburg and opposite to Ust - Izhora Municipally it is incorporated as Sverdlovskoye
  • Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish and Tavastian armies on the Neva River near the settlement of Ust - Izhora on 15 July 1240. The purpose of the invasion was probably
  • just south of the Neva near Pushkin, Kolpino and Krasny Bor in the Izhora River area. After the collapse of the German southern front following the Battle
  • Ligovsky Pond Rivers in Saint Petersburg Izhora River Karpovka River Moyka River Neva River Bolshaya Neva River Bolshaya Nevka River Fontanka River Malaya Neva
  • Ingria Finnish: Inkeri or Inkerinmaa Russian: Ингрия, Ingriya, Ижора, Izhora or Ингерманландия, Ingermanlandiya Swedish: Ingermanland Estonian: Ingeri
  • districts were directly subordinated to the oblast. On August 27, 1939 Bolshaya Izhora was made an urban - type settlement, and on September 17, 1939 Oranienbaum
  • Колпинский район District Church of Alexander Nevsky, confluence of Neva River and Izhora River Kolpinsky District Location of Kolpinsky District on the map of
  • Russian army led by Peter the Great and Fyodor Apraksin met Swedes at the Izhora River and pushed them to the fortress. For several days, the Swedish Army was
  • by the Vyksa Steel Works of OMK, the Chelyabinsk Pipe Rolling Plant, the Izhora Pipe Mill of Severstal, the Volzhsky Pipe Plant of TMK, Zagorsk Pipe Plant

Users also searched:

neva river facts,

...
...
...