Back

ⓘ Fort Stanton




Fort Stanton
                                     

ⓘ Fort Stanton

Fort Stanton was built in 1855 by the 1st Dragoon and the 3rd and 8th Infantry Regiments of the United States Army to serve as a base of military operations against the Mescalero Apaches. Numerous campaigns were fought from 1855 until the 1880’s. It was established to protect Hispano and White settlements along the Rio Bonito in the Apache Wars. Kit Carson, John "Black Jack" Pershing, Billy the Kid, and Buffalo Soldiers of the 9th Cavalry all lived here.

Confederate forces occupied the Outpost in 1861, at the beginning of the American Civil war. This military fortification was abandoned with the withdrawal of US troops in 1896.

The Fort was initially established within the reservation Mescalero Apache. In 1873, the reservation was moved 30 miles southwest to its current location. In 1899, President William McKinley transferred Fort Stanton property from the war Department to the marine hospital service, converting the military reservation to the first Federal sanatorium of tuberculosis of America.

During world war II, Fort Stanton was used as a detention center for German and Japanese Americans arrested as "enemies" and 411 German nationals taken from the luxury liner Columbus in 1939 officially recorded as "distressed seamen freed from the German Embassy" since the U.S. still technically neutral at the time of their capture. On "enemy aliens" were mostly immigrants from the US who was taken into custody as suspected saboteurs shortly after the U.S. entered the war, despite the absence of supporting evidence or access to due process for most internees. 31 German American internees, labeled "troublemakers" in the Ministry of justice, was separated from the 17 Japanese Americans are also considered "problematic" bodies, which were transferred to Fort Stanton on March 10, 1945. These innovations were deported to Japan later this year.

In 2008, the Governor of new Mexico bill Richardson announced plans for the establishment of Fort Stanton as a living place of history, Fort Stanton monument, and funds for repair a staff-apartments, officers, and stables.

In 2009 in the area of Fort Stanton cave Fort Stanton was appointed by Congress as a national nature reserve, the NCA, with more than 25.000 acres in order to protect the unique cave resource, snowy river passage in Fort Stanton cave national natural landmark. The snowy river was discovered in 2001 by members of the research project the cave Fort Stanton. New RNA, called Fort Stanton – snowy river cave, is managed by the Bureau of land management, Department of Roswell. NKA has more than 90 miles of multipurpose trails for horseback riding, and mountain Biking and Hiking. It is the venue of an annual competition of endurance riding, which grew in 6 days. NKA connect the South and North-East to the Smokey Bear Ranger district Lincoln national forest.

In 2012, members of the South-Western region of the National speleological society completed a restoration project on the second floor balcony of building No. 9, located in the Fort Stanton quadrangle.

                                     
  • Camp Edwin M. Stanton usually known as just Camp Stanton was an American Civil War training camp that existed from 1861 - 1862 in Lynnfield, Massachusetts
  • Fort Mifflin, originally called Fort Island Battery and also known as Mud Island Fort was commissioned in 1771 and sits on Mud Island or Deep Water
  • on 13 August 1867. Fort Concho, then under construction north of Camp Kelly, received its name in March 1868 from Edward M. Stanton Secretary of War for
  • Artillery at Fort Miles.org Stanton p. 492 Stanton pp. 459, 484 21st Coast Artillery at Fort Miles.org Archives Search Report Findings, Fort Miles Military
  • The Fort Bragg Game was a Major League Baseball MLB game played between the Miami Marlins and Atlanta Braves of MLB s National League at Fort Bragg
  • Whitside from 1858 to 1902. MMAS Thesis, Fort Leavenworth: U.S. Command and General Staff College, 2002. Stanton Shelby L. 1984 Order of Battle: U.S
  • shot in Kanab, Utah with Harry Dean Stanton making his debut in the film. In 1861 the undermanned garrison of Fort Laramie, Wyoming Territory are attempting

Users also searched:

...
...
...