Back

ⓘ Greenwood Cemetery (Jackson, Mississippi)




Greenwood Cemetery (Jackson, Mississippi)
                                     

ⓘ Greenwood Cemetery (Jackson, Mississippi)

Greenwood Cemetery is a cemetery located in downtown Jackson, Mississippi. Still in use, it was established by a federal land grant on November 21, 1821. It was originally known simply as "The Graveyard" and later as "City Cemetery" before the present name was adopted in 1899. It is the final resting place of Confederate generals, former governors of Mississippi, mayors of Jackson, as well as other notable figures, the most recent of whom is internationally acclaimed author Eudora Welty. The graves of over 100 "unknown" Confederate soldiers are also located here. Greenwood Cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and as a Mississippi Landmark in 1984.

"Garden Park" type cemetery contains the largest collection of everblooming "own root" not vaccinated antique and modern shrubs roses in the country - several hundred shrubs representing over 40 named cultivars - as well as numerous hardy bulbs and other flowering shrubs and trees.